• +
  • Last »

1981 Replies - 54924 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Are You Working On Today?

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I am beginning 2 new contracts for clients. Finally putting my ongoing client into a more support mode thank god.

@jon.kiparsky. I had an employer who worked the same way. They told me to go out and buy a new phone, laptop, etc., but when I parted ways with them they expected me to leave those devices behind because they were paid for with company money. Now, when my employer wants me to go out and buy something, I always use my own money and negotiate them to pay some sort of allowance on it. Be it they pay 10% of my internet service now that I have a laptop I will use for work or they pay part of the phone bill for the phone I use. That way they technically pay me back for the device over time, but I get to keep it when/if I part ways because the actual finds for the device can't be traced back to the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 16 April 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

I am beginning 2 new contracts for clients. Finally putting my ongoing client into a more support mode thank god.

@jon.kiparsky. I had an employer who worked the same way. They told me to go out and buy a new phone, laptop, etc., but when I parted ways with them they expected me to leave those devices behind because they were paid for with company money.

Yeah, there's a verbal agreement here that the device amortizes out over the course of the year - so if I leave before the year, then we have to figure out whether I buy out the remaining share or what. But nobody expects that to be an issue in this case.
And basically it comes out to the same thing, because if I left after two years, they're not really going to be wanting to hand a new guy a two year old laptop with my fingerprints all over it. So since they're not going to be able to get any use out of it, they figure I might as well own it.

Just a change of perspective, really. For accounting purposes, laptops have about a two year lifespan, so they're not really giving very much away at all. That is, your previous employer sounds like a real douchnozzle.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 16 April 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

That is, your previous employer sounds like a real douchnozzle.

which is the reason I parted ways with them. My wife had our first child so I took a week off work to stay with her and help get everything situated. Day 2 they were literally knocking at my door asking me if I was ever going to come back to work. (When I say Literally, I mean literally. My boss was at my front door for the sole purpose to ask me if I was coming back to work.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Currently Waiting on Replied from 7 Different Game Studios in NC. Now to check on normal IT firms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

if it's not desktops i actually prefer the BYOD strategy. just makes more sense for everyone involved. why have two laptops? just a waste of money, materials, space, time, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#36 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 16 April 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

if it's not desktops i actually prefer the BYOD strategy. just makes more sense for everyone involved. why have two laptops? just a waste of money, materials, space, time, etc.

I guess BYOD doesn't work very well if you've got a need to maintain confidentiality or protect data. For example, if the SEC is involved, you typically have a lot of requirements that basically mean your IT has to issue and maintain your machine. So if your machine can see credit cards or medical records or something, then BYOD is maybe not the best option. But for most purposes, it seems like a good policy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#37 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

I nailed down my third professor recommendation for graduate school! I'd say it's been a good day.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

So I found a Swiss Army Tool Box.
Only about $400
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 16 April 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

I guess BYOD doesn't work very well if you've got a need to maintain confidentiality or protect data. For example, if the SEC is involved, you typically have a lot of requirements that basically mean your IT has to issue and maintain your machine. So if your machine can see credit cards or medical records or something, then BYOD is maybe not the best option. But for most purposes, it seems like a good policy.

perfectly reasonable reasons, but also why if i was in charge of equipment anyone with these kinds of needs would get desktops and not laptops. (just like when i worked for the military, all sensitive equipment was tied down in vaults)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#40 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

That's probably surely the safest policy - but it conflicts with the policy of having lead developers available 24/7 in case of oopsies. If you've got a data warehouse team of three people, for example, you don't want to try to keep a DB admin on site 24/7. So you send people home with secured machines, and if something goes tits up in the middle of the night, you call the lucky stiff whose name is on the top of the list and get them out of bed to fix it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

well, i guess that's just the balance of expecting people to work at home. once the data leaves the environment, it's gone. doesn't matter if it's on a company machine or a mixed/personal machine. personally i would rather it be on a BYOD plan that could possibly be recouped.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

I am recovering from being rather ill for 3-4 days solid.

Sunday was slight fever/shakes.
Monday was "strength of limp noodle" day, combined with the above.
Tuesday was hallucination (my pillow tried to eat me) and the above
Wednesday was no voice and limp noodle.

So yeah, all in all not the best few days.

I now just feel as strong as overcooked spaghetti, but decided to come to work anyway. Friday is a UK bank Holiday (no work) and I felt like I should at least put in an appearance at work this week.

At least I get to sit down all day, although honestly, not sure what I even have to do today!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#43 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

Today, chasing a well hidden bug in a block of code that's worked fine for years but suddenly is acting up. I'm inclined to believe it's a change elsewhee that's the problem, but they put it on me to fix. . . yay.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

t minus 2 days-----
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

Today is my Friday. Hooray three day weekends!!

Weekly meeting with old boss and new boss this morning. They always end with the two of them yelling at each other. Can't we all just get along?!?

My adorable hipster will be in tomorrow night. I'll be meeting his family at Easter dinner on Sunday. He'll be meeting my bucket of crazy at dinner on Saturday. Prayers to the invisible sky people of your choice would be great.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (133 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »