3 Replies - 2508 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2014 - 03:51 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

IP configuration is not valid

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:10 AM

Hi all,
is there any way to make sure my web server is 100% unable to be detected through such tools as traceroute?
My situation is this:
There is a link on a website. This link is a bit.ly link which forwards a click to my web server, which in turn forwards the click on to another web address. I want to make it impossible for someone to be able to identify that their request passed through my web server on its way to the end content.
Is this at all possible?

Thanks heaps!

Apologies the title should be "Protecting IP from tracking"

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IP configuration is not valid

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IP configuration is not valid

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

View Postrtlm, on 18 April 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

There is a link on a website. This link is a bit.ly link which forwards a click to my web server, which in turn forwards the click on to another web address. I want to make it impossible for someone to be able to identify that their request passed through my web server on its way to the end content.

It seems like you are doing something you should not. A webserver should not try to hide. It isn't practical. When network packets are encapsulated, they need import things like where they came from & where they are going. If these details are otherwise missing, the communication doesn't happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand how the question can be interpreted that way but I can assure you what the server is doing is perfectly legal and non offensive. It is purely a matter of hiding from our competition.
To clarify, I am not interested in hiding the web server from the server the packet previously came from, nor the next one it is going to. I am interested in hiding the web server from appearing in a "tracert" someone might do on the link.

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:51 AM

View Postrtlm, on 18 April 2014 - 06:43 AM, said:

It is purely a matter of hiding from our competition.

You achieve that through the proper channels. Firewall, .htaccess, you determine the traffic & deflect it specifically. Not filter everyone through a hidden channel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1