Looking for an experienced developer.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 2679 Views - Last Post: 25 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

#16 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Looking for an experienced developer.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

what I am getting out of this is --"I have an idea and don't know how to do it so I want you to do this for me and I will give you 10% of the company even though you did 100% of the work"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Okay - okay.. ease up everyone. We are starting to retread the same issues/gripes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 23 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

As a retailer, I would be really leery of letting any Joe Random program be running on my POS machines, specially if the program is known to actively be downloading data from the Internet in near real time.

And maybe I'm not smart enough and therefore won't qualify for the job, but I can't wrap my brain around the computing the change part of your product requirement/description. Let's say I go to a Canadian McDonald's and pay in Australian dollars -- how will the McDonalds franchisee give me back Australian bills and coins in change? Will every one of your clients be stocking bills and coins of every known currency?

They don't give you back Aussie dollars, they give you back Canadian dollars. In the amount equal to your Aussie dollars.
Example: Consumer goes to Wal-Mart with 200 Euros. During checkout when the cashier has scanned and bagged his items, she/he will ask if they want to pay in any select currency. "Yes, The Euro." the bill is per say $212USD=153.36Euros. consumer pays with 1,$100 Euro and 3, $20Euro. 160Euros=$221.18. He/she would then receive $9.18 back in USD. All change is given in the country of sales domestic currency.

View PostSkydiver, on 23 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

As a retailer, I would be really leery of letting any Joe Random program be running on my POS machines, specially if the program is known to actively be downloading data from the Internet in near real time.

And maybe I'm not smart enough and therefore won't qualify for the job, but I can't wrap my brain around the computing the change part of your product requirement/description. Let's say I go to a Canadian McDonald's and pay in Australian dollars -- how will the McDonalds franchisee give me back Australian bills and coins in change? Will every one of your clients be stocking bills and coins of every known currency?

Also that was a USD to Euro conversion above.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Having experience in both Retail and developing POS Systems, I can tell you that the more "clicks" you force a person to do the less likely you are to get clients on board with using it. This industry is all about speed of service, and adding in a currency selection that would work on touch screens would be a nightmare IMO. I'm curious to see how you are going to interface with current POS Software or if you are developing an entire POS Package? In that case, how are you going to handle dealing with all the peripherals that can be attached to a POS System? Also, how are you planning on dealing with all of the customizations that clients will want to make like custom graphics on an Ingenico, Loading different price book files, etc.

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 24 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostXaos, on 23 April 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

View PostSkydiver, on 23 April 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'd guess you'd stock it in one currency, so in this case it'd be he Canadian currency. But then someone has to go and exchange that foreign currency for local currency.

Also, you're asking someone to make your company's cornerstone software, and then offering 10% of the company. Why can't someone just build a POS with a currency convertor and profit off of that? Unless you're coming with a company that already has roots, the best bet for you would be to offer a large chunk and create a partnership with a developer so long as you have actual marketing, PR, etc. skills or just pay the dev. Preferably, pay the dev.

Also, why do you think this hasn't been created yet? With tourism and restaurants funding almost 100% of the economy of places like Cancun, Mexico, don't you think this would already have been created if feasible? And don't give me the "that's how every innovation works" line, because that is 100% not the case here.

I don't mean to attack you or the idea, just make sure you know what you're getting into rather than "I got an idea.......oh crap I don't know programming.......i'll just offer someone equity" and then flop and screw both you and the programmer.

Yes change is given in the country of sales currency. Were not only creating a software , but also planning to partner with an established public currency converter. And set up locations all across the world. And we were really surprised that there is no application in international airports, cruise lines, etc Were forming a currency solutions firm. Not a software firm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

I hope that it's a really good relationship with a public currency converter. The ones I've encountered here in the US s*ck. The exchange rates are sub-optimal, and they don't take coins -- or at least not from the public. I get better exchange rates from my bank, but I have to make arrangements weeks in advance. And again my bank doesn't take coins. So if one of your retailers has a customer pay them in $200 worth of coins, that retailer could potentially be stuck with the coins and be out $200.

Yes, I have about $200 worth of coins in various mixed currency from around the world sitting in a jar on my desk. I'm waiting to spend it at Costco. Tell me when you go public and Costco signs on. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +