Collaborative Effort

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

338 Replies - 17270 Views - Last Post: 13 October 2014 - 05:53 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Collaborative Effort

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

It is for a fun effort, there is something about the gaming industry that likes to steal ideas.

*shrug* Okely dokely. I think it is misplaced concern, but have at it.

It makes it difficult to work on a project without a central location for the project.

Ah..okay, so yes.. that's what branches and repositories are for. Roll the dice and pick one.. github, subversion, bitbucket has private repos, or codeplane.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

I don't see much of a point in splitting it across GitHub and Google code. Use one or the other. GitHub has pretty good bug tracking and discussion capabilities that I would use if it were up to me.

Edit - ah modi beat me to it.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 24 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

As far as a lead, the collab game was your idea alapee.

Edit: didn't realize Git had good discussion capabilities.

Maybe we should all get Skype or some kind of IM service and create a group? And with skype I do mean IM.

This post has been edited by Xaos: 24 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

It is a very interesting learning experience. More reading is definitely needed. I have done all my coding locally. So I am learning the process as we go, which add another tool to the toolbox.

Modi=> I am realist, the game we create might not be a "AAA" game and it will be learning process for all. Fact of the matter, depending on availability, it might take a year+ to create. Which is ok, the point is getting your feet wet and deciding if you want to swim.

This post has been edited by alapee: 24 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

I can definitely recommend GitHub, you can create private repositories there however that requires a paid subscription account (I have that), I've never done anything with Google Code really, we can create a team on GitHub and add whoever wishes to contribute and only they would be able to see the repository.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Robbss=> what is the spacial limits on github? I didn't see it on the website. Google code has a project max around 4gb for code, 40mb for Bug Submissions and Forums.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostRobbss, on 24 April 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

I can definitely recommend GitHub, you can create private repositories there however that requires a paid subscription account (I have that)

BitBucket is a git website that allows private repos for free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

View Postalapee, on 24 April 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

Robbss=> what is the spacial limits on github? I didn't see it on the website. Google code has a project max around 4gb for code, 40mb for Bug Submissions and Forums.

GitHub has a 1gb limit on the repo itself. Tbh you shouldn't be anywhere near hitting that anytime soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

What is my disk quota?

GitHub doesn't have any set disk quotas. We try to provide abundant storage for all Git repositories, within reason. Keeping repositories small ensures that our servers are fast and downloads are quick for our users.
Rule of thumb: 1GB per repository, 100MB per file

For best performance, we recommend repositories be kept under 1GB each. This limit is easy to stay within if large files (typically, binaries) are kept out of the repository. If your repository exceeds 1GB, you might receive a polite email from support requesting that you reduce the size of the repository to bring it back down under 1GB.

In addition, we place a strict limit of files exceeding 100 MB in size. For more information on why this is, see "Working with large files."

https://help.github....s-my-disk-quota
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

POPULAR

I'll just throw this out there: making this private is basically dooming it to fail. You're gathering internet strangers together for a project with very little overall guidance. Which is fine, it's a learning/fun project. But by trying to conceal everything to a "members only" area means that you won't generate any interest in your project, meaning you're pretty much stuck with whoever you start with. And who knows how long their interest is going to last? You mention this might take a year to produce, but how many of your original team do you think will still be working on this in a year? How about in three months?

Think about it: you're gathering people that have stuff going on in their own lives. People with varying level of skill and experience. Of course you're going to have some churn. But if you make it private, you're reducing the pool of people who might see and get interested in your project.

If you want my advice, swallow the pride and make it open source. If someone steals your idea, so be it. If you've got this public, you can always point to your repo to say "this is when we started this. It's our idea." Which neatly takes care of the whole "we want credit for our work". But I'd worry less about the idea being stolen until you actually have a real idea of what you're going to make.

Github is a much nicer setup for collaborative development than google code, IMO. Everything seems to be moving to Github. You can get a private repo if you want, but you have to pay for it. Public repos are free. Plus it can host a wiki and readme's and project websites and all that noise.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take it or leave it, of course.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

@no2.. that may be a problem depending who actually decides to participate.

Is Bitbucket free for small teams?

Yes! Sign up for the 5 users free plan and you can have unlimited public and private repositories.

What is a user?

Someone with read or write access to one of your private repositories.

https://bitbucket.org/plans
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

I didn't know about Gitbucket to be honest, my recommendation of GitHub is from my own usage, and I can say that it has never failed me and I've never had any issues with it, it has great issue tracker and so on, however I have no experience with Bitbucket to compare with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

I wouldn't mind making it open source. That's basically what were doing anyway, just limiting it to DIC people.

I we go private, I doubt we have a problem getting a team of 5 for bit bucket.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 24 April 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'll just throw this out there: making this private is basically dooming it to fail. You're gathering internet strangers together for a project with very little overall guidance. Which is fine, it's a learning/fun project. But by trying to conceal everything to a "members only" area means that you won't generate any interest in your project, meaning you're pretty much stuck with whoever you start with. And who knows how long their interest is going to last? You mention this might take a year to produce, but how many of your original team do you think will still be working on this in a year? How about in three months?

..Shorten for space[alapee]

Very valid point.

Since the idea behind the project was to people's feet wet; there is no reason to open completely up.
Xaos=> this also applies to any future DIC members.

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 April 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

@no2.. that may be a problem depending who actually decides to participate.

Is Bitbucket free for small teams?

Yes! Sign up for the 5 users free plan and you can have unlimited public and private repositories.

What is a user?

Someone with read or write access to one of your private repositories.

https://bitbucket.org/plans

I just read that.

This post has been edited by alapee: 24 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Taking a look at the Bitbucket plans it seems to get very expensive if we're a lot of users, Github is made in the amount of private repositories your account can hold, so for 7$ a month you get 5 private repositories with unlimited users, but on Bitbucket for 10$ you get unlimited private repositories for a maximum of 10 users.

For out project GitHubs pricing might be a better choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »