6 Replies - 443 Views - Last Post: 28 April 2014 - 09:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

intrusion detection prevention and traceback system in c#

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

please i need help with my project topic on intrusion detection prevention and traceback system in c# am really stuck here.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: intrusion detection prevention and traceback system in c#

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: intrusion detection prevention and traceback system in c#

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

Out of curiosity, which class are you taking?

About a year ago somebody asked a similar question about how to create an intrusion detection system and traceback system using C# and he was rebuffed because using C# you are too far removed from the OS to be able to reliably do what you need to do. You can do you GUI and control settings using C#, but you'll need to implement the guts of your code in a much lower level language that lets you interface with the OS directly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

Also, when your project is as big as "write an IDS/IPS" and you're already stuck before you've written any code, you don't have a very good chance of completing this project. For the record, your question is entirely too broad for this forum. You haven't asked us any questions, just said "I don't know what to do" and given us a one-phrase description of your instructions.

Here's how you can get real help on this forum: show effort. Make an attempt, and let us know what specifically you're having problems with. Then we can work with you to resolve your problems. When you just say "I don't know what I'm doing" all we can say is "tough".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

ok. My major problem is how to design the interfaces that would filter packets and implement signature rules for packet analysis.

View PostSkydiver, on 28 April 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, which class are you taking?

About a year ago somebody asked a similar question about how to create an intrusion detection system and traceback system using C# and he was rebuffed because using C# you are too far removed from the OS to be able to reliably do what you need to do. You can do you GUI and control settings using C#, but you'll need to implement the guts of your code in a much lower level language that lets you interface with the OS directly.

Am a final year computer science student, Although am thinking about c++ but i dont have strong knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Well, you're going to need "strong knowledge" for making an IDS. Sorry, but there's no two ways about it.

Again, we can't help you until you make an effort. You haven't really explained issues you've had, you've just re-stated your requirements in more specific words.

Until you can show some code that you've worked on to make this project, all we can do is give general advice.

Please realize that we're not just saying this because we don't want to help you. We do, it's just that we can't help you write your whole final project when you don't know where to start. We can't be a college-level class here; we're much better suited for helping with specific code issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

My major problem is how to design the interfaces that would filter packets and implement signature rules for packet analysis.

Isn't that, like, the lion's share of the entire project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

ok wen am done with wat i am working on i will surely present it to u guyz... thanks guys
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1