6 Replies - 2136 Views - Last Post: 16 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My plan of action to learn programming

Post icon  Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

:D Hi all,

I sure do hope that this is the right place to put this topic, I would love to see other programmers perception of this and hopefully I'll be able to improve on my plans.

Here is my plan of action to completely master programming(To a certain degree, don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong):
  • Programming logic and design
First I would like to learn the basics of programming. Most of all the programming languages have the same core structures etc. 'Selection Statements, Loops, Arrays, OO and more'. So what I'm doing is learning the basics around structured programming and what to do when and how. The book I'm using is 'programming logic and design by Joyce Farrell'. I make flowcharts and pseudocode of different questions and challenges. Everything is based around getting thebare basics, that what all programming languages and statements have in common, learned first.
  • Practise my own flowcharts and pseudocode
In High school I learned Pascal(don't use it know), While studying electronic engineering I learned a bit of C, and taught a bit of basic for myself. Now I'll learn basic or C and actually apply the flowchart and pseudocode and see it in action. Again getting the structure and basics in my head.
  • Practise practise practise
Now that I know the basics I'll practise and practise and take on bigger challenges.
  • Learn Other Languages
The Language I want to end up with is Java. After all this,I think it might be quite easier to learn other languages even harder types like C++

Of course all this will happen while getting help from and reading a lot in </DIC>, which I believe will be the other way of gaining some experience and learning a lot.

I have learned the hard way that having a piece of paper saying that you have a degree or diploma does not always mean that you can do the job. And also relying on the lecturers to teach with all the ambition and determination as we hope them to have,they don't really care about you, no matter in what country you are. You have to teach yourself and learn from other people like you or who have been where you are . . . So my goal is to learn programming, be able to code a variety of things without a lot of help or at least knowing what others are talking about and then only will I go out and get a certification(e.g.Sun programmer or developer). The internet is there and the resources are there, we should use it. You don't get a better degree than the other. You get a guy who can do the job and another who can't.

So what do you think ? ? ? ?

Regards
:ph34r: Digital101

P.S. Excuse the spelling or grammar errors. . . . :rolleyes:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My plan of action to learn programming

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My plan of action to learn programming

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

It seems like an...interesting plan.

Personally, if I was going to work on learning Java, I would pick up a book on how to learn it and just sort of dive right in. The book would explain all of the language fundamentals to you anyhow, and when/if you moved to another language, you'd understand them and look for them instinctively.

That's my approach, though - it's not suited to everyone. If you think yours is what will work best for you, who am I to argue?

I say go for it, and good luck. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, I am second with you, girasquid. When I chose C++ as my first language I pick a book where I can learn the basics. And again it's not suited to everyone on how the way I learned, we have different approach. :)

This post has been edited by nirvanarupali: 04 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

View Postgirasquid, on 4 Oct, 2007 - 10:11 AM, said:

It seems like an...interesting plan.

Personally, if I was going to work on learning Java, I would pick up a book on how to learn it and just sort of dive right in. The book would explain all of the language fundamentals to you anyhow, and when/if you moved to another language, you'd understand them and look for them instinctively.

That's my approach, though - it's not suited to everyone. If you think yours is what will work best for you, who am I to argue?

I say go for it, and good luck. :)

Hey,

Thanks . . .

That is true, you can dive in and start programming via any language and learn the basics as you go. I merely wanted to point out that those who want to be employed in programming(which I'm not) and do not have a lot of time or money to spend, to do it as effective as possible when they do do it.

I'm looking forward at being employed in a programming industry and spending 24/7 on </DIC>. But I was thinking, I'll combine your advise with mine and then give it a go. I'll admit that mine seem to be a bit boring.

Off to the Java Forum for me, but I would first like to get a decent book on Java. . . Talkiong about Java, I think I need a cup right now!!

Regards,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:14 AM

[quote name='liceska' date='11 Oct, 2007 - 14:11 PM' :D ]
:D Hey U!!!
Am alice frm UG and av just began doing a course in IT. Am particularly interseted in programming and i totally agree with you. My teacher is really in it for the money and can't give me what i really need to be a great programmer! Mind if i ask u a question?......If you wanted to write a music software program, what would be the best language to use? How far have u gone in your" mastering programming" strategy?

:D [code]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

[quote name='liceska' date='11 Oct, 2007 - 04:14 AM' post='265740']

liceska, on 11 Oct, 2007 - 14:11 PM, said:

:D Hey U!!!
Am alice frm UG and av just began doing a course in IT. Am particularly interseted in programming and i totally agree with you. My teacher is really in it for the money and can't give me what i really need to be a great programmer! Mind if i ask u a question?......If you wanted to write a music software program, what would be the best language to use? How far have u gone in your" mastering programming" strategy?

:D [code]

Hey there,

I've still got a long way to go before I master programming. And I'm happy to see someone agree with me when it comes to teachers(note that not all of them are bad).

The best programming language to use when it comes to music software, I know Java is well known for graphics and sound etc. What do you want your program to do. And be sure to ask some of the experts here in <DIC> Palace. W^2, alpha 02 and wolfcoder you could ask, they seem to be quite good in Java. Also check out the snippets for other guys who do Java.

As for me. . . . :crazy:

Regards,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

I had a very good professor that taught me programming logic in my first programming class in college and pikcing up a book for any languange works out well.

Your approach is good. Learn the logic and structure of programming and after taht its a matter of syntax, languange exceptions, and using the right language for your project. learn it, understand it and KNOW how to use your tools.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1