9 Replies - 1956 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2014 - 11:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Xaos  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Question about which engine to use

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

So, I'm going to be making my fish harvesting game into an app this summer, as well as officially publishing it on the web and whatnot. I don't want to recode it in Objective-C and Java to publish on iOS and Android, it just seems silly. So I was thinking about using Unity engine to code it in C# and export it to iOS, Android, Windows app store, Web, etc. Unity has really great export options. The snag though is that I don't know if Unity really fits what I'm doing. It's basically a text game with GUIs. For the end result, I want it to have a picture GUI (Maybe of a dock or something) and you can choose to fish, in which an animation would pop up of a guy getting into the boat and going into the ocean, then you input a harvesting effort number and an animation plays of him fishing and then it displays the reuslts, and so forth, you kind of get the idea. Pictures and animations are the extent of the graphics, inputting numbers is basically all user control. Would it be good/possible to do something like this in Unity to take advantage of the export options? Or are there better engines with similiar export options out there that fit what i'm trying to do?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about which engine to use

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Question about which engine to use

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

It is possible, but it might be better to use something else. Have you looked at MonoGame yet? It uses C# for programming and runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, android, etc. It is not a game engine but a game framework. You must code your own gui framework or go find a gui library. If you are making a gui based game maybe you should use a gui engine and not a game engine.

I would recommend MonoGame, it works great and is a total blast to code in.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

You could probably do this ridiculously quickly using Adobe AIR

https://get.adobe.com/air/

You can export to iOS/Android/PC/MAC and the library is basically perfect for UI heavy stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Xaos  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

I decided to just use Xamarin (formerly MonoTouch), because it is a GUI based game. If it had been a graphical-based game I would have used Unity most likely.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Last time I checked 'monogame' is not an engine. It's a framework to build a game and you would need to create the engine yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I think the OP was thinking more of "engine" being a tool to create his vision.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hmm.. I saw 'engine' and 'unity' thrown in there so I figured engine-engine.

Such mysteries of intent!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 BBeck  Icon User is online

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

I found the Unity GUI system to be very limited. For our current project, I finally decided I was going to have to build my own GUI system pretty much from scratch and hope that worked. So, in the end, we went with MonoGame for that reason. You have to build everything from scratch in MonoGame; so that basically means you can build anything. It's quite a bit of work though; I'm currently coding a GUI library for MonoGame in hopes of using it in a very GUI heavy game.

It just seems to me that the Unity GUI system is intended to be a quick "and dirty" GUI system to handle very typical stuff. But if you want something that's very heavily GUI based, you may find it lacking.

I haven't seen Unity 5 yet. So, I don't know what that offers for GUI heavy projects.

Checking out some of the other options people have suggested sounds like a good idea too. Maybe check out several things and then you'll know what you think is right for your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Why not just use Javascript and HTML5. HTML5 is designed for GUI. Its standard on all modern browsers, and runs on all devices that support the browsers. If fast, does not need 3rd party libraries and downloads. Supports 3D, video, audio, touch, and all the sensors. Adapts easily to varying screen resolutions and has the support of some of the biggest names in the business. Just look at this page. How many buttons, links, images, animations there are. how much interactive content, and this is just a simple forum page. HTML5 is your best option for top quality device independent applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

View PostXaos, on 30 April 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

So, I'm going to be making my fish harvesting game into an app this summer, as well as officially publishing it on the web and whatnot. I don't want to recode it in Objective-C and Java to publish on iOS and Android, it just seems silly. So I was thinking about using Unity engine to code it in C# and export it to iOS, Android, Windows app store, Web, etc. Unity has really great export options. The snag though is that I don't know if Unity really fits what I'm doing. It's basically a text game with GUIs. For the end result, I want it to have a picture GUI (Maybe of a dock or something) and you can choose to fish, in which an animation would pop up of a guy getting into the boat and going into the ocean, then you input a harvesting effort number and an animation plays of him fishing and then it displays the reuslts, and so forth, you kind of get the idea. Pictures and animations are the extent of the graphics, inputting numbers is basically all user control. Would it be good/possible to do something like this in Unity to take advantage of the export options? Or are there better engines with similiar export options out there that fit what i'm trying to do?

I second the HTML5/JS/CSS option, since this is primarily a text based game, just with pictures(maybe use GIFs even), a textbox for input and JS for logic, CSS for output, HTML5 to hold everything together. Unity can be used for 2D games, though for a small game it isn't suited, (too many distractions, unless you're going to scale big, like incoporating swipe motions and some 3D models, and physics ,then HTML5, JS, CSS will get tedious in a while).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1