2 Replies - 1163 Views - Last Post: 01 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What would I need to do for a programming career?

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:09 AM

I'm currently still learning stuff, so this is a way off yet, but I want to know what kinds of things to aim for.

If I were to be employed would I need any qualifications? And if so which ones? Or do they value experience more? Would it be a good idea to design a programme to show off my skills? Also, what kind of pay would I be likely to get? (I understand that's a VERY general question, but I really have no idea, it could be anywhere from 18k-100k or even more for all I know).

If I were to go freelance, how would I be able to put my programmes out there? Either on phones or computers.

P.S. I live in England so could answers about qualifications and such be related to things I would be able to get over here please?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What would I need to do for a programming career?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: What would I need to do for a programming career?

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

Well, ya need to be able to program well. And your pay is likely to reflect your ability. So work on that first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What would I need to do for a programming career?

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

If I were to be employed would I need any qualifications?

Yes, typically jobs have qualifications you need to meet. I would suggest reviewing job boards for your local area/country to get an idea.

And if so which ones?

It varies with the job, and the company.

Or do they value experience more?

It varies with the level of the job and the company.

Would it be a good idea to design a programme to show off my skills?

It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Also, what kind of pay would I be likely to get? (I understand that's a VERY general question, but I really have no idea, it could be anywhere from 18k-100k or even more for all I know).

Check places like 'salary.com' or the like to see averages.

If I were to go freelance, how would I be able to put my programmes out there? Either on phones or computers.

Mobile app stores are good places, or building some sort of site to handle that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1