10 Replies - 2650 Views - Last Post: 02 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why you should avoid 1&1 internet...

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

So I've ran in to a bit of a problem with 1&1. The gist of it is that I wanted very cheap hosting to mess around with a few things. I saw 1&1 had a deal for $15/yr. I jumped on that and after the first week I realized it was complete trash. I contacted them and they wouldn't let me cancel so I chalked it up as a lesson learned. I went in to the control panel checked my accounts (web hosting + domains) and hit cancel. Thinking it would cancel the auto-renew I just watched as they took ~$3 out of my paypal every 3 months. Fast forward a year and I get a receipt for a $15 charge from 1&1.I contacted 1&1 and didn't hear anything back. After a few days I disputed the charges on Paypal and 1&1 issued me a refund. A few months later I received these letters from NCO Financials. Apparently when I went to cancel they wouldn't cancel the service OR turn auto-renew off. I understand they can't cancel while under contract but they should not be auto-renewing the account.

I don't care that they charged me $15 for a terrible service the first time around. I took a gamble on cheap service and lost, that's fine. What bothers me is they kept auto-renew on AND to top it off they're threatening to put this negative mark on my credit report. They have also sent another letter for a $18.95 fee. This is shady business practices and it's disgusting.

For those of you who think I might be one isolated case with just a spot of bad luck feel free to see all the other people in the same exact situation...

https://www.google.c...sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I hope to use this as a warning to others. I know many people come on here asking for cheap hosting so I would like to urge you to do a little research before you get sucked in on the super cheap deals. Sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra $1 to go with a better company.

This post has been edited by Logik22: 01 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why you should avoid 1&1 internet...

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why you should avoid 1&1 internet...

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Hmm.. well I haven't no issue with them as a domain name.. I went a different route for hosting at the start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

If you did this through PayPal, you should be able to contest the charge. You probably won't win, but it's free to try.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 01 May 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

If you did this through PayPal, you should be able to contest the charge. You probably won't win, but it's free to try.

opps! I forgot to mention that. So a year went by, they auto-renewed, I contacted them, didn't receive a response, I disputed the charge, and 1&1 refunded my money. 3 months later I got these letters in the mail.

This post has been edited by Logik22: 01 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Funny thing about letters in the mail...

Similar story, larger numbers. When I first opened my shop in 2006 I didn't know jack about business. So when I was approached about a credit card machine, I figured $40 a month to not have to worry about anything sounded like a good deal. At the time I figured as long as it's a tool to bring in money, it's a small price that's easily covered after one repair a month. I got reamed for $40 a month as a 'service fee', but still had to pay for the machine out right at the end of (2 or 3?) years. So I paid the unit off, like another $400. It just so happened that I closed the account that was being used for the auto payment, & they notified me that I still owed another $100+ (like $119?) because they make a clerical error when they quoted me my final payment & were unable to 'collect' through the previous payment method.

Over the phone I told them that's too bad, & their loss that they would have to eat the loss. They reamed me for years, & I paid what I agreed to in writing. At the end of my payment for the equipment I was given a confirmation number. Shove your clerical error.

I continued to get letters for about six months. They eventually quit coming.

If PayPal reverses the funds, you don't owe them jack. They won't take you to court over $18. It's probably an automated 'idiot' attempt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 01 May 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

Funny thing about letters in the mail...

Similar story, larger numbers. When I first opened my shop in 2006 I didn't know jack about business. So when I was approached about a credit card machine, I figured $40 a month to not have to worry about anything sounded like a good deal. At the time I figured as long as it's a tool to bring in money, it's a small price that's easily covered after one repair a month. I got reamed for $40 a month as a 'service fee', but still had to pay for the machine out right at the end of (2 or 3?) years. So I paid the unit off, like another $400. It just so happened that I closed the account that was being used for the auto payment, & they notified me that I still owed another $100+ (like $119?) because they make a clerical error when they quoted me my final payment & were unable to 'collect' through the previous payment method.

Over the phone I told them that's too bad, & their loss that they would have to eat the loss. They reamed me for years, & I paid what I agreed to in writing. At the end of my payment for the equipment I was given a confirmation number. Shove your clerical error.

I continued to get letters for about six months. They eventually quit coming.

If PayPal reverses the funds, you don't owe them jack. They won't take you to court over $18. It's probably an automated 'idiot' attempt.

I'm not worried about court. I'm worried about my credit report showing that I have overdue debts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

Again, $18 isn't worth their effort to do anything more than auto attempt. They would have to file with a collection agency, which isn't cheap, & then they would have to report with the credit bureaus that you refuse to pay.

All of which is bull, because you did pay, & disputed the service that was provided.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 01 May 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Again, $18 isn't worth their effort to do anything more than auto attempt. They would have to file with a collection agency, which isn't cheap, & then they would have to report with the credit bureaus that you refuse to pay.

All of which is bull, because you did pay, & disputed the service that was provided.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Well the letters I received are from NCO Finacials. So wouldn't that mean that 1&1 filed for collection already?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

A quick Google search shows that NCO Finacials is a collection agency. Send them the dispute information from PayPal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostLogik22, on 01 May 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

So I've ran in to a bit of a problem with 1&1. The gist of it is that I wanted very cheap hosting to mess around with a few things. I saw 1&1 had a deal for $15/yr. I jumped on that and after the first week I realized it was complete trash. I contacted them and they wouldn't let me cancel so I chalked it up as a lesson learned. I went in to the control panel checked my accounts (web hosting + domains) and hit cancel. Thinking it would cancel the auto-renew I just watched as they took ~$3 out of my paypal every 3 months. Fast forward a year and I get a receipt for a $15 charge from 1&1.I contacted 1&1 and didn't hear anything back. After a few days I disputed the charges on Paypal and 1&1 issued me a refund. A few months later I received these letters from NCO Financials. Apparently when I went to cancel they wouldn't cancel the service OR turn auto-renew off. I understand they can't cancel while under contract but they should not be auto-renewing the account.

I don't care that they charged me $15 for a terrible service the first time around. I took a gamble on cheap service and lost, that's fine. What bothers me is they kept auto-renew on AND to top it off they're threatening to put this negative mark on my credit report. They have also sent another letter for a $18.95 fee. This is shady business practices and it's disgusting.

For those of you who think I might be one isolated case with just a spot of bad luck feel free to see all the other people in the same exact situation...

https://www.google.c...sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I hope to use this as a warning to others. I know many people come on here asking for cheap hosting so I would like to urge you to do a little research before you get sucked in on the super cheap deals. Sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra $1 to go with a better company.

In my opinion, 1and1 Internet ruined my business,I think the mafia would have been better to work with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Can you share details?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1