3 Replies - 734 Views - Last Post: 06 May 2014 - 08:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New installation of CF10 vs upgrading from CF7 to CF10

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Greetings,

We have a Windows 2003 server running CF7, and we feel that we need to upgrade to CF10. We have been working on a new installation on a Windows Server 2012 machine, but have run into some snags. Someone suggested that it might be easier to upgrade from 7 to 10. We were concerned that upgrading in place might have unforeseen issues.

My question is this: is it better to build a new server with a clean install of CF10 and migrate our code, or should we leave the code in place on the existing server and upgrade to CF10? Additionally, when upgrading, can you go from CF7 to CF10, or do you have to step up to each version (7 to 8, 8 to 9, then 9 to 10)?

I would really appreciate some advice in this area. Thanks!

Jamie

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New installation of CF10 vs upgrading from CF7 to CF10

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New installation of CF10 vs upgrading from CF7 to CF10

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

Welcome to DIC, doggonemess!

In my opinion, if you have the hardware (it sounds like you have multiple servers available) it's best to do an install of CF10 than to try and apply upgrades to get your current box to CF10 from CF7. I don't know if CF10 will run on Server 2003 (I suppose it probably does but I don't know for certain) but I suspect your 2012 box is probably more robust than your 2003 box and anytime you can put more and better procs and memory behind your web server the better. Further, if you go with a separate box that you install CF10 on, you can leave your CF7 box to continue to serve your application which gives you time to get the CF10 install set and time to port your code over and work out any code specific issues you have (although I think 99.9999% of the code that CF7 runs will run fine on CF10). Then, once everything is working fine, you just point the domain to the new box and your changeover is seamless.

Of course, this would all depend on the "snags" you're running into. Most issues that people encounter when installing CF10 on a Windows box have been documented extensively on web so Google is your best friend for that. I suspect that whatever those snags are will also appear should you try to do a stair step upgrade from 7 to 10 (if you can even do that successfully). In general, an upgrade is really most viable going up just one level. In your case you're talking 3 separate upgrades and I'm just not sure that that process alone wouldn't introduce issues. And those issues wouldn't have been encountered much at all which means documentation for solving them will be scarce or perhaps non-existent.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

On another forum, someone suggested installing CF10 on the 2003 machine (it does run on 2003) alongside CF7, and then switching the web connector. This sounds like it might be a good idea, since it's very easy to roll back, and it isn't an upgrade so much as a separate installation. I'm fishing around for second opinions, but so far, I think it's the path we might take.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Jamie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

The only part of that that I'd be concerned about is the memory footprint of CF10 vs CF7 coupled with the memory allocation capabilities of IIS6 vs IIS8 (the IIS versions found on Win2K3 and Win2K12 respectively). I guess you could do it but TBH, it makes me then question why you want to upgrade from CF7 to 10 in the first place.

If you have CF10 then I don't see why you wouldn't want to run it against the latest version of IIS if you can do so. I mean, it's entirely up to you but the reason people typically upgrade their CF instance is for increased performance (and perhaps to avail themselves of some particular new CF features...but most new features tend to be memory intensive). Your reasons are your own and while you probably CAN install them together and then switch the web connector if it's for a performance boost, you may not get as much bang for your buck as you're hoping to get.

Still and all, good to hear you have a plan. Nothing gets done without one. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1