• +
  • Last »

71 Replies - 5951 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Twitter: What's the point?

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

I had an account 5 years ago that I deleted. I followed one person (my cousin) and had one follower (the same cousin). Neither of us posted anything so I binned it. Recently my martial arts organisation started using Twitter to share news. I want the news so I have a choice between bookmarking the page or joining Twitter. I have noticed that some members of the organisation are also on Twitter and maybe I want to see some of their martial arty stuff. On the other hand, I see these people at least a couple of times a year, some of them several times a week.

So, my question to you is what will I miss out on if I just bookmark the page and don't join Twitter?

To put the question in context, I have an odd relationship with social networking. I tolerate Facebook for its private messaging and ease of sharing photographs. Most of the other features seem designed to clamour for attention on the News Feed (something that could have been fun but is unfortunately just a vector for memes and spam).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Twitter: What's the point?

#2 depricated  Icon User is online

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Re: Twitter: What's the point?

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

nfi, I twatted once and felt like a user so I quit
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

I never saw the point either. In my cynical moments I think it's mostly for people who can't think of anything to be interested in, but want something to be distracted by.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

On facebook, a celebrity must accept my 'friend' request in order for me to troll them. On Twitter, all I have to do is put a hash-tag in-front of their name, & there is potential that they will see it.

I've actually talked with David Pogue about Dream In Code once, & was even published in his book The World According to Twitter.

The conversations have a certain feel to them on Twitter that is not like Facebook.

Above that, I agree, there isn't anything different, it's just a different medium. Myself, I still prefer irc, & people don't really see the point in that either.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

I doubt you will miss much by not following along on Twitter. Besides if whatever you are doing is describable in 140 characters or less I would think you would want to find something else to do.

#sitting @ work reading forums, ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

People have an inherent craving to be popular among their peers. The number of Twits following you is a way to quantify that popularity and hence, how fundamentally wonderful you are. Who could resist? :surrender:
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Twitter is mostly a news aggegator for me. I refuse to follow anyone I know, because pointless personal tweets make me angry, but a list of 120 character article synopses followed by links is a pretty handy way for me to see if there's anything I'm interested in reading. Yes, I know there are "better" ways of doing it, and it's certainly not the only way I find interesting things, but it works.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Pointless if you are looking for a conversation with anyone as most users post to Twitter to either promote something they are selling or to troll people they don't like. So Twitter to me is like standing at the top of a Mountain in a soundproof box and screaming at the top of your voice in hope someone passing by will hear you. If i want to talk with my friends, i text them, not tweet them...its just the internet looking to make another method of communication. Epic fail.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 depricated  Icon User is online

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Dear Twitter, I just took a massive shit. Sadly, it has too much character to share here. #myturdsaremoreinterestingthanyourcontent
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

To me, Twitter is the internet's version of small talk with strangers. It's almost like graffiti in a way: brief, transitory in it's import, permanent in that it memorializes stupid trivial shit.

I don't personally use it but, used properly and for the correct kinds of content, it can be a handy gizmo.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

POPULAR

View PostSheepings, on 07 May 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

If i want to talk with my friends, i text them, not tweet them...its just the internet looking to make another method of communication. Epic fail.

Right. You don't feel like moving on from the 90's, and don't see the value in them, so naturally internet based replacements for the methods of that era are an epic fail. Never mind the hundreds of millions of users who use them every single day.

Internet based communications has such potential beyond anything text messaging and old-school phone calls can offer that it's kind of laughable to even be comparing them. You may not like Twitter, or Facebook, or whatever else service you dislike, but in general the technology is fantastic.

By the way, if all you see on Twitter is ads and trolling, you're not doing it right. Not for nothing does Twitter let you choose your privacy settings, who you follow and who can follow you. I'm personally not a fan of it, being more of a Google Hangouts/Facebook Messenger kind of person, but I know many people who use it a lot and get a lot out of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Right, I was hoping to find some of those people here. I don't see the value in it but I am open to having my mind changed. Does anyone here like Twitter? What do you use it for and what tricks do you use to make it work for you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• cute bug

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

I have a Twitter account for two years.I followed some friends from college and I used it for maybe 3 or 4 days ,it seemed boring to me.In the other hand i use facebook daily.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

For me, it's faster to follow large amounts of really smart people talking about subjects I want to know more on. I can follow a few hundred MapReduce and Big Data people and get quite an overview by just watching their activity go by.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:22 AM

View Postcfoley, on 07 May 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Does anyone here like Twitter?

When I used to stay up until 6:am, I would talk with gabehabe, then got to know some of his followers, & some of theirs. It was a blast talking to people from the other side of the world (as I've always done since I got onto the internet in the 90's). I'm not friends with them on facebook, & have no way in getting in touch with any of them other than twitter. There are also two members of Dream In Code that are no longer active that I still keep up with on Twitter.

View PostSheepings, on 07 May 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Pointless if you are looking for a conversation with anyone as most users post to Twitter to either promote something they are selling or to troll people they don't like.
To an extent... but through the magic of filtering (& common sense) you don't have to follow said people.

So Twitter to me is like standing at the top of a Mountain in a soundproof box and screaming at the top of your voice in hope someone passing by will hear you.
& forums are different how?

If i want to talk with my friends, i text them, not tweet them...its just the internet looking to make another method of communication. Epic fail.

I'm sorry, but no, you are completely wrong. The internet didn't create Twitter, people did. & the fact that it's still growing 8 years after being laucnhed, used by billions of people, live documented the assassination of Osama Bin Laden, & is traded on the stock market makes it a success, not an epic fail.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »