6 Replies - 2632 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

SVN for your own Website?

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

I was looking around for a SVNManager, something similar to GitHub but something that i can download and install on my own webserver. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any software worth using or if someone could make some recommendations to me.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SVN for your own Website?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SVN for your own Website?

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Not sure if there is anything close to Github's caliber out there for free, but if you are willing to pay for it, Github Enterprise can be bought to be run on your own network. Another such option is Stash, the self-hosted version of Bitbucket.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

Thanks Atli, I was kinda looking for something opensource and something that i could run on my own servers independently. Do you happen to know of any others? I tried the Apache version and it was terrible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

Git and any old SSH server works for me. Note, many ISPs offer SSH access, so you can mirror to your own cloud. I've tried weby things, but they are mostly just pretty UIs for browsing. The local tools are where the action happens, so the server needn't be all that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

It's important to know that that GitHub is a publicly free version of git with a website interface. Anyone can install & use git on a server, & configure it to their hearts content.

As well, also know that git is not the same as svn. They are different pieces of software that handle version control differently.

I would suggest doing a search for 'custom web interface for git' & browse your options. If you want something like GitHub, I would stay with git.

** Edit **
Also, because you're asking about installing software onto a server, I've moved the topic to Web Servers & Hosting. This really doesn't apply to the corner cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

For self-hosted, I've used Collabnet's Subversion server:

http://www.collab.ne...oads/subversion

For the client, I prefer to use Tortoise SVN.

http://tortoisesvn.net
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

Sheepings, on 07 May 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

Hi,
In my view SVN manager and Git Hub is not similar there is a difference. SVNManager is a PHP web based tool to administer a Apache Subversion repository server. GitHub is a web-based hosting service for software development projects and offers both paid plans for private repositories, and free accounts for open source p

Hi,
In my view SVN manager and Git Hub is not similar there is a difference. SVNManager is a PHP web based tool to administer a Apache Subversion repository server. GitHub is a web-based hosting service for software development projects and offers both paid plans for private repositories, and free accounts for open source projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1