13 Replies - 5923 Views - Last Post: 27 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Jobs Outlook for iOS App Builder

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

What do you guys think the job outlook is for an iOS developer. Is their a large enough want/need for iOS developers that one could reasonably hope to make a career out of iOS developing?

If one was hoping to become a professional mobile app developer, do most employers require, or at least strongly desire, a potential employee to be experienced in iOS AND Android?

Thanks... :donatello:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Jobs Outlook for iOS App Builder

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Jobs Outlook for iOS App Builder

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

Think of it this way, iOS is highly profitable, both in paid apps and in advertising. The same cannot be said of any other platform at the moment. For example, lots of people download free apps on Android, but relatively few buy them. Many studies have shown that advertisers don't do as well on that platform either. Given that iOS is so profitable and that there are relatively few Obj-C developers compared to C/C++ or Java, supply and demand dictates that if you're proficient you can expect to do well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Makes sense to me. Is there expected to be a large influx of Obj-C coders on the horizon because of this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

I doubt it. There's a big push to make it appear as if Android is "winning" regardless of the true numbers partly because lots of coders came from Wintel and so have an anti-Apple bias. That's why you see a lot of the "open" vs "closed" argument on their part. What makes iOS so attractive to its user base is exactly what that crowd dislikes: a curated system provides security by limiting what they can do on/to your phone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

How soon (or maybe it's already here) do you think the majority of companies that employ developers will be employing iOS-specific developers? From what I've read, it seems like most professional iOS developers are currently in freelance roles. In doing job searches for iOS, or even mobile developers in general, I can hardly find any offerings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Typically folks are already doing it as an addin role to their current duties.. or so I've seen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

That's what I was afraid of.

Do you think that app development would be tacked onto the duties of, say, the software developer (coding in java, etc), or the web developer? Or, put another way, if you wanted to be the developer that ended up doing the iOS programming, would you have a better shot knowing java, etc, or being skilled in web developing?

Sorry if that sounds goofy. I can't find a good way to word it for some reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

It's a flip either way. Personally I would lean towards application developers over web devs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

That's what I figured. I have a background in both, but app development seems to be more closely related to software development, at least in my early stages of objective-c.

modi123_1 do you think putting all the time and effort into mastering iOS development is a good investment for now and the future?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

If it interests you or you are looking to go that way- sure. I do not know you nor your situation so I am unable to comment on the exact nature of said investment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

I'd look for Objective-C jobs, not iOS. Companies hiring for iOS are likely to want to be able to develop for the Mac as well, especially since the two are based on the same OS and many of the same frameworks I just did a search on cybercoders and it came up with a bunch of jobs ranging from $70K to $200K.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

modi - 32 years old. Halfway through my computer science degree at Purdue University (top 10 nationally ranked comp sci program). 11 years at my current (non-IT related) job. Looking to switch to a developer job as soon as I graduate in the Indianapolis, Indiana area. 15 years of hobby developing in java, php, html, etc. but to formal job experience.

CT - You're right. I think I searched that too, but obviously not well enough if you found several offerings. I'll take a look at cybercoders.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

I wouldn't worry about people trying to learn objective C to take your job. I've been at this for many many hours now and have yet to find a tutorial or book that provides a complete working sample. I am beginning to understand how Objective C works and it really isn't that hard but so far they have managed to leave out the final pieces of code so that I can't get anything to actually work. I don't imagine many people will spend over a week trying to get a simple application to work and will quickly give up and go back to a proven platform like Visual Studio. However, I am stubborn and have plenty of free time and I already have an iPhone so I can't easily switch to Droid or I would in a heartbeat. I'm hoping that maybe there are some answers on this forum but so far not finding any.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

I hope this isn't violating any of the rules of this forum for talking about other communities, but I've been learning from two different sources: Udemy and YouTube (mods feel free to delete this if it's out of line).

I am going through a course on Udemy that has 400+ videos and takes you through the creation of 14 apps, which is great because you actually start coding it immediately.

At the same time, I'm going through the lectures of the iOS iPhone and iPad development course from Stanford U. for 2013 on YouTube. I simply watch the lectures without actually doing any of the code, but it helps to reinforce what I've learned through Udemy. Also, the Stanford lectures tell a lot more of the "why," where the Udemy just dives into the coding without going into any of the theory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1