0 Replies - 258 Views - Last Post: 09 May 2014 - 12:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Windows Service with Network Access and Email Alerts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

I have been working on an application that has two main components:

1) Windows service that functions as a data acquisition server to receive data from some sensors and catalog it in a SQL database. Currently this is a windows forms application, but I plan on porting it to a service as soon as I get all of the functionality done. From what I have gleaned it is simply easier to debug as an app rather than a service. If that is not correct or if anyone has any advice on this subject, please feel free to speak up.

2) A GUI application to make configuration changes to the windows service and provide a means to output the data

I know it takes some special configuration to make a windows service that can receive and send over a network while a user is not logged in. If anyone can point me to some solid tutorials or example of how to do this, I would appreciate it. As I said, I have not yet delved into this, but I know it is coming.

I would like the windows service to have the ability to send out email alerts when it detects a problem (i.e. the sql database is not connectable, it has not received any data from the sensors in x number of hours, etc) Again, part of this comes back to having a service that has network access. I have played with this on my company network, and found that our firewall seems to block several ports needed to access the gmail smtp server (I tried ports 25, 465, and 587). This application is intended to be deployed at customer locations where the status of the firewall may also impede external email access, and I do not want to ask them to put holes in their network security to make this work. I was looking at the possibility or creating an internal smtp email server that wouldn't require an external host. I have been unsuccessful thus far. Is this possible? Is there another way to send these alerts? I don't mind requiring the end user to provide a smtp host server but if I did, I would want it to allow the use of free email services like gmail if the site/company did not have their own smtp server, but I am concerned with running into firewall issues. Maybe there is a workaround to this...???

Any suggestions welcome.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1