7 Replies - 696 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello and a question.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

First of all, hello. I am re joining these forums to further my knowledge of programming after a small break. I am pretty good with python and I want to move on. Should I take C++ or Java for my next level and what IDE should I use for each respectively?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello and a question.

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello and a question.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

View Postshoup0198, on 10 May 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

Should I take C++ or Java for my next level

There is no single answer for this, & it is impossible to provide input without knowing you on a personal level.

It's not about what we (strangers of the internet) think you should do, it's about what you think you should do.

Why just C++ or Java? Why not C, php, assembly, or something dot net?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

I want to learn something that is cross platform. I switch between Windows and Linux a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

What is your ultimate goal, then? Java is easier with somethings and c++ is better suited for others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

In my case, the curriculum for degree in computer science begins with c++, then java, assembly, C#, python.(I may omit some in between). During first year, taking assembly might be frustrating for beginners, even sometimes c++ becomes discouraging for them. So python, ruby are good for new programmers but in our country case python is just given to students to support the course "Natural Language processing"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 11 May 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

What is your ultimate goal, then? Java is easier with somethings and c++ is better suited for others.

I have no idea I'm into many things, web design, pen-testing/network security, Maybe someday I will want to create a game or an app. Maybe at this point I really don't have a end goal except for gaining knowledge right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

then pick what you want to learn now. More than likely you will end up learning both in the long run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

In a short view :

Writing something simple like hello world will be easy for both. Java will run the jar file on Linux & Windows great. Using C++ you will need to recompile for each os, but as long as you use the standards it should will be fine.

When you move to something as complex as a game, good luck. I have no experience at this level with Java so I can't say, but with C++, you'll deal with so many dependencies you probably won't have one single code base.

My suggestion would be to start with one code base, one syntax, one platform. If you don't like it or get stuck move on. Then decide which you like better. You're going to have a difficult enough time learning the language, let alone trying to learn it for two separate oses. You will be making it four times as difficult, & four times as frustrating as it needs to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1