11 Replies - 1270 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I'm Currently NOT Studying JavaScript or JQuery But...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

I'm Currently NOT Studying Javascript or JQuery But...

I just have a quick question. I thought that turning to the forums were far better and more direct than turning to Google or YouTube.

So I was wondering... what language is used to make profile pages and about me's for like sites? Sites like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn use forms for information when you're signing up. I was wondering if these things were created using Javascript or JQuery or both? Sorry for such a vague question, I've always wondered about this and never found an answer to my question. Thanks so much!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'm Currently NOT Studying JavaScript or JQuery But...

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I'm Currently NOT Studying JavaScript or JQuery But...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

jQuery isn't a language, it's a library written in Javascript. If you are seeing anything dynamic happen inside a browser in response to user interaction (animation, slideshows, etc), or content on the page changing without the entire page refreshing, then that is Javascript. They might be using one or more libraries, but Javascript is the language the browser executes to change the page.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

More likely the language used is PERL or PHP or some other server-side language.
JS (Javascript) is a client side language, meaning that the changes only occur to the one user looking at the page.

JS may be used to collect the information from the user to be sent to the server.
From there it is probably saved into a database along with other fields to form a record.
That record MAY BE accessed at a later time by sending information to the server to be sent back
to the client and displayed using JS.

JS does not have the capability to save or retrieve information by itself, other then in a cookie or through local storage commands, neither of which allows others to see the information on the user's computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

JMRKER in post: #3 said:

More likely the language used is PERL or PHP or some other server-side language.
JS (Javascript) is a client side language, meaning that the changes only occur to the one user looking at the page

Javascript is also used on the server with Node.js becoming more popular and Microsoft has been providing excellent server side Javascript (JScript) for a decade and a half with their servers. Javascript is making its way into more and more applications like PDF documents, desktop widgets, and various office type apps.

JMRKER in post: #3 said:

JS does not have the capability to save or retrieve information by itself, other then in a cookie or through local storage commands, neither of which allows others to see the information on the user's computer.

Javascript can store data anywhere via range of methods and is not limited to just client side storage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

OK, so provide some links to examples of your statements.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

View PostJMRKER, on 13 May 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Are you really going to make me break out "lmgtfy"?

Node.js - look it up. Any other questions?

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 13 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:21 AM

I just wanted to add that, even when JS is used on both sides, there still is a distinct server-side/client-side separation.

Typically, user input validation or database queries are still (or should be) done by the server.

It's not a uniform environment either : Node.js doesn't provide (natively) a DOM view of the HTML page for example, there is no "window" object, you can't have a server variable and a client variable referencing the same object, etc. It's not magic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:11 AM

View PostBlindman67, on 13 May 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Javascript can store data anywhere via range of methods and is not limited to just client side storage.

Note, the domain is important here. Javascript in the browser mostly stores data by proxy, calling web services. While it does have limited local storage via HTML5.

Javascript on the server side can have the ability to use storage mechanisms available to any other language. Javascript, as a scripting language, can show up anywhere. I use JScript for maintenance scripts ( because it's so much nicer than VBScript ) on Windows boxen via WSH.

However, to the OPs question, all persistent solutions will involve some kind of server side storage. There are no general purpose languages I can think of that DON'T have the capacity to do work on the server for web apps.

As noted, Node.js and various related tech can do that with JS. However, traditional middle tier languages like Java are still far more common.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Dormilich  Icon User is online

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

View Postge∅, on 14 May 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

It's not a uniform environment either : Node.js doesn't provide (natively) a DOM view of the HTML page for example, there is no "window" object

TBH, why should Node.js have it in the first place? Node.js is a scriptable server software and as such designed to serve any content, not only HTML. from an application design point-of-view it doesnít make sense to built in DOM into the base system.

of course there is nothing against an additional package that provides exactly that, but it would be more like just another template system (like Angular or ejs).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

I just wanted to add that, even when JS is used on both sides, there still is a distinct server-side/client-side separation.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 13 May 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

You really think that is a helpful response for the OP who states: "I'm Currently NOT Studying Javascript or JQuery But..."?

A warning to the Node experts out there

Node is like most technologies that are new to the masses, but old hat to the experienced few: itís opaque and weird to most but completely usable for a small group. The result is that if youíve never worked with Node, youíre going to need to start with some pretty basic server-side scripts. Take your time making sure you know whatís going on, because while this is Javascript, itís not operating like the client-side Javascript youíre used to. In fact, youíre going to have to twist your Javascript brain around event loops and waiting and even a bit of network theory.

Unfortunately, this means that if youíve been working and playing with Node for a year or two, much of this article is going to seem pedestrian and overly simplistic. Youíll look for things like using Node on the client, or heavy theory discussions on evented I/O and reactor patterns, and npm. The reality is that while thatís all interesting ó and advances Node to some pretty epic status ó itís incomprehensible to someone just getting started out. Given that, maybe you should pass this piece on to your co-workers who donít know Node, and then when theyíre buying into Nodeís usefulness, start to bring them along on the more advanced Node use cases.

(From: http://radar.oreilly...at-is-node.html )

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostJMRKER, on 17 May 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 13 May 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

You really think that is a helpful response for the OP who states: "I'm Currently NOT Studying Javascript or JQuery But..."?

I think if you can't figure out how to find more information on node.js, when someone tells you that might be useful to you, then you're probably not cut out for this business. A little self-reliance is not too much to ask here.
Anyway, this was a response to you, not to the OP. You're the one asking that others do the research that you're perfectly capable of doing yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1