3 Replies - 2199 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

Poll: CLRS -or- Sedgewick's Algorithms (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Which book(s) for summer study of Data Structures/ Algorithms?(M.S. prep)

1. "Introduction to Algorithms" by C.L.R.S. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. "Algorithms" by Sedgewick and Wayne (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Introduction to Algorithms by C.L.R.S. -or- Algorithms by S.H.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

I'm looking to do some self study on data structures/algorithms this summer since I got dropped from my class (forgot to pay), and not it's waitlisted. I don't need the class credit, I need the knowledge. So, I plan to do some self study.

The two books I'm looking at are "Introduction to Algorithms" by C. L.R.S., or "Algorithms" by Sedgewick and Wayne.

I could study from both, but I hardly see the point in getting both books. Any Info to help me decide will be appreciated.

-Plot

P.S. this self study is for as M.S. program. C.S. for people without a robust C.S. background.

Skeine's "The Algorithm Design Manual" also looks promising.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Introduction to Algorithms by C.L.R.S. -or- Algorithms by S.H.

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Introduction to Algorithms by C.L.R.S. -or- Algorithms by S.H.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

A professor at my school has free copies of his text online. It starts with the sophomore undergraduate data structures material and progresses to advanced data structures and theoretical techniques. It looks like it might be a good fit if you're weak on math or CS preliminaries.

http://people.cs.vt.edu/~shaffer/Book/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

The two books are quite different in their approach. Sedgewick is a book about what algorithms are, what they're for, and how to think about them, and how to think about implementing them. He goes into great depth about a set of particular cases, and analyzes them carefully. On the other hand, CLRS is more of a catalog of algorithms and implementation notes. CLRS is far more complete, covering stuff Sedgewick never even mentions, but you have to bring a lot more to it - it's not going to walk you through things nearly as much. I don't want to overstate the case, of course - analysis of algorithms and big-O notation are covered by both books, for example, and CLRS does address design decisions throughout. But many of the answers that are worked out and presented in Sedgewick are treated as exercise questions by CLRS.

The other major difference is that each edition of Sedgewick's text is strictly language-based. Previous editions were in Pascal and C, the current one is in Java. CLRS is strictly language-neutral (though of course the pseudocode is strikingly similar to python....) This may be an advantage for one book or the other, but you'll have to work out which way the advantage goes in your mind.

For me the choice is pretty clear, though -Sedgewick is of course the classic text, and I have a ton of respect for his work, but CLRS is far and away the superior book for the motivated student in my book.

One side note, which may or may not be of interest - there are two good courses on algorithms running regularly on Coursera. One is taught by Sedgewick, and relies heavily on his book, the other is taught by Tim Roughgarden and recommends both texts, but for my mind CLRS is far more useful for that course. If you were to pick one of those two courses to take, I'd steer you to Roughgarden's, and therefore again towards CLRS.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

CLRS is kicking my butt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1