1 Replies - 2209 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Shared Host CPU Limits

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

I've recently moved my site from my personal computer to a commercial shared web hosting service (HostGator.com). Within a few hours of doing so, my account was disabled and the ToS Monitoring crew opened up a support ticket explaining that I'd quadrupled my allotted CPU usage. After some research it looks like I was automatically cut off after reaching 3600 CPU seconds per hour.

I've been making some minor tweaks and working with them to try to drive down the CPU usage, but I really feel like something is wrong here. I did a test on my local server and couldn't even get my site to break 500 cpu seconds per hour.

So my questions are:

- How much processing power (in general) do these commercial shared servers have?
- Is this issue probably caused by a difference capability between my computer and the server's, or is it more likely to be a compatibility issue causing my scripts to require more processing power on this new server?
- Are all hosts this stingy with CPU?
- Has anyone had a similar issue that they were able to fix?

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 15 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Shared Host CPU Limits

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Shared Host CPU Limits

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

Remember this is shared.. not among one or two people, but probably among hundreds. The most forgiving of services, I can't remember where, allowed up to 5% of the cpu before they started working with you to shift into dedicated or minimized what ever crazy ass scripting was going on.

- How much processing power (in general) do these commercial shared servers have?

https://support.host...fications-specs

- Is this issue probably caused by a difference capability between my computer and the server's, or is it more likely to be a compatibility issue causing my scripts to require more processing power on this new server?

It sort of depends - what exactly are you gorging on CPU time with?

Again - think larger.. you are no longer the primary person on one box.. tons of folks are on a shared machine..

Are all hosts this stingy with CPU?

No, but again it depends on what you are doing. Most are fine with in reason, but being a hog and thrashing around the buffet is just poor manners.

- Has anyone had a similar issue that they were able to fix?

Refactor your code. Figure out what ever is hogging the hell out of it.
Move hosts.
Hit up an Amazon elastic cloud machine.. burn the money there..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1