5 Replies - 1564 Views - Last Post: 16 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Poll: What do I do, go web dev or stay with desktops? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

So, what do YOU THINK I should do?

1. Stick with Python (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Go web dev (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Do both at once (4 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do I do, go web dev or stay with desktops?

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hello all, I am new here and have never been on a coding forum. I have wanted to join but necver got round to it, until now where I do not know where else to ask this question.

I have been trying to learn programming for 2 years now, I have been switching languages every 3 months or so where I'd get bored. A lot of things have happened in the past 2 years that affected my life greatly, making it harder for me to make myself motivated like I used to be able to. I have a solid understanding of basic programming concepts, algorithms flow control etc. I know Java's syntax well, as well as python. I applied for college a few months back, when I was learning Java and Python still. I noted down on my application that this was the case and I also stated I was looking at learning C. Since then, I found no use in learning C and Java was just a skill I never used. I was looking at different librarys when I had no use for them. I decided to stop wasting my time. I recently decided I want to get back into coding, before college starts in September. I want to stick with Python, I love it in many ways the only thing I'd change is to make it like Java in the sense everything is an object, I love that about Java :D . Last night, I was approached by a member on a forum that I am activley on. He is a volounteer in some of Google's software projects, and has 2 contacts in Google, he is being lined up for a job with them. He is starting a few personal projects up with a few others and asked if i would be jnterested in Joining, I accepted straight away. I have never coed anything apart from silly litkle scripts in Python that automate mouse clicks in a game etc, this would be great for me to learn on. One issue, it is all on the web. No client side coding (apart from the browser obviously), and Python is not being able to be used. He wants me to learn either: Golang, Javascript, Dart and the other standard languages (PHP, HTML[easy af], and CSS). I feel I could do this, but I am not sure what to do.

I was wondering if you guys can give me your opinions, would you stick with writing scripts in Python and let this opportunity pass by you? Or would you start on trhis project? My main concern is that I will forget Python, I do not know much in the way of external modules in Python and my aim was to learn a few standard ones and put them to use. Is it possible to learn both? I'd appreciate any opinions and/or advice you guys can give me!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do I do, go web dev or stay with desktops?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do I do, go web dev or stay with desktops?

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hello all, I am new here and have never been on a coding forum. I have wanted to join but necver got round to it, until now where I do not know where else to ask this question.

Welcome!

I have been trying to learn programming for 2 years now, I have been switching languages every 3 months or so where I'd get bored. A lot of things have happened in the past 2 years that affected my life greatly, making it harder for me to make myself motivated like I used to be able to. I have a solid understanding of basic programming concepts, algorithms flow control etc. I know Java's syntax well, as well as python. I applied for college a few months back, when I was learning Java and Python still. I noted down on my application that this was the case and I also stated I was looking at learning C. Since then, I found no use in learning C and Java was just a skill I never used. I was looking at different librarys when I had no use for them. I decided to stop wasting my time. I recently decided I want to get back into coding, before college starts in September. I want to stick with Python, I love it in many ways the only thing I'd change is to make it like Java in the sense everything is an object, I love that about Java :D . Last night, I was approached by a member on a forum that I am activley on. He is a volounteer in some of Google's software projects, and has 2 contacts in Google, he is being lined up for a job with them. He is starting a few personal projects up with a few others and asked if i would be jnterested in Joining, I accepted straight away. I have never coed anything apart from silly litkle scripts in Python that automate mouse clicks in a game etc, this would be great for me to learn on. One issue, it is all on the web. No client side coding (apart from the browser obviously), and Python is not being able to be used. He wants me to learn either: Golang, Javascript, Dart and the other standard languages (PHP, HTML[easy af], and CSS). I feel I could do this, but I am not sure what to do.

It seems straight forward.. pickup a web based language and help out with the project, or politely decline saying your interests lay elsewhere. I mean, sure.. there's some apprehension because *gasp* other people will be seeing your code and relying on you to participate at some level.. maybe even.. judging it.. but eventually you will need to face that trepidation or you will have a hard time in the work place.

I was wondering if you guys can give me your opinions, would you stick with writing scripts in Python and let this opportunity pass by you? Or would you start on trhis project? My main concern is that I will forget Python, I do not know much in the way of external modules in Python and my aim was to learn a few standard ones and put them to use. Is it possible to learn both? I'd appreciate any opinions and/or advice you guys can give me!

Why not do both? I mean it's not like you will be burning 20 hours a day on web languages, and it's not like python is going to change in a whole quickness putting your knowledge out of date if you take it slower. A few hours in both should be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

[name='modi123_1' date='15 May 2014 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1400185888' post='2011122']

Welcome!

I have been trying to learn programming for 2 years now, I have been switching languages every 3 months or so where I'd get bored. A lot of things have happened in the past 2 years that affected my life greatly, making it harder for me to make myself motivated like I used to be able to. I have a solid understanding of basic programming concepts, algorithms flow control etc. I know Java's syntax well, as well as python. I applied for college a few months back, when I was learning Java and Python still. I noted down on my application that this was the case and I also stated I was looking at learning C. Since then, I found no use in learning C and Java was just a skill I never used. I was looking at different librarys when I had no use for them. I decided to stop wasting my time. I recently decided I want to get back into coding, before college starts in September. I want to stick with Python, I love it in many ways the only thing I'd change is to make it like Java in the sense everything is an object, I love that about Java :D/> . Last night, I was approached by a member on a forum that I am activley on. He is a volounteer in some of Google's software projects, and has 2 contacts in Google, he is being lined up for a job with them. He is starting a few personal projects up with a few others and asked if i would be jnterested in Joining, I accepted straight away. I have never coed anything apart from silly litkle scripts in Python that automate mouse clicks in a game etc, this would be great for me to learn on. One issue, it is all on the web. No client side coding (apart from the browser obviously), and Python is not being able to be used. He wants me to learn either: Golang, Javascript, Dart and the other standard languages (PHP, HTML[easy af], and CSS). I feel I could do this, but I am not sure what to do.

It seems straight forward.. pickup a web based language and help out with the project, or politely decline saying your interests lay elsewhere. I mean, sure.. there's some apprehension because *gasp* other people will be seeing your code and relying on you to participate at some level.. maybe even.. judging it.. but eventually you will need to face that trepidation or you will have a hard time in the work place.

Why not do both? I mean it's not like you will be burning 20 hours a day on web languages, and it's not like python is going to change in a whole quickness putting your knowledge out of date if you take it slower. A few hours in both should be fine.
[/quote]

Sorry in advance for spelling mistakes. Currently on my tablet. First of all thanks for the reply. Yeah that doe scare me, others seeing my code and relying on it. Luckily I am far off doing this for a living still only 16 haha. As far as far as time goes I am stretched with current studies and my part time job, I guess I can learn one language and also learn python at the same time. Thanks, mate. I'd appreciate seeing others opinions and advice on learning also!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Did I read right that you can't seem to stick with any of the things you've tried to learn for more than 3 months? Sounds like "short attention-span theater" to me. Are you sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot? If you never complete any appreciable amount of time on anything you therefore haven't really *failed*, you just moved to something else. Maybe fear of failure or not being naturally good at something is causing you to stop prematurely.

I see the same thing in my 20 year old daughter. If she can't sing better than her friends, right out of the gate then give up and move on to dance... If someone else does better in the first week, move on to swimming... That way she never *fails* or gets *beaten*, its just that it is something not for her and to try something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:21 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 15 May 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

Did I read right that you can't seem to stick with any of the things you've tried to learn for more than 3 months? Sounds like "short attention-span theater" to me. Are you sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot? If you never complete any appreciable amount of time on anything you therefore haven't really *failed*, you just moved to something else. Maybe fear of failure or not being naturally good at something is causing you to stop prematurely.

I see the same thing in my 20 year old daughter. If she can't sing better than her friends, right out of the gate then give up and move on to dance... If someone else does better in the first week, move on to swimming... That way she never *fails* or gets *beaten*, its just that it is something not for her and to try something else.

Yes sounds like me lol. It pis#*s me off a lot. My main issue is I get bored and do not know what to do with what I have earned. Hence why this project looks good for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

I get bored and do not know what to do with what I have earned.

Investigate the project lists, and apply what you known. Join an opensource project that you may enjoy.. pull and open source project and make some tweaks. Eyeball your every day routine and see what would be fun to automate. I mean I read all the books on EE, but until I buy some wires, a breadboard, and actually apply it I doubt I would retain it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1