• (3 Pages)
  • +

37 Replies - 5027 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How did you get into Programming?

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Most people i know started to program because they wanted to make a game for PC, most of them quit after a week.

This post has been edited by Michael26: 18 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

At one point, decades ago. Programmers had no intention of programming and fell into the role. I new a PhD Chemist that needed something that would store his experiments. 5 years later and he was working for the University's IT department.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 16 May 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Gack! Infidel! My shiny Atari 800, a thing of incomparable 8-bit beauty, farts in your general direction! ;)/> Ah, the Atari 800. I bought one of those once, needed something to keep the papers from blowing off the desk when the window was open :bigsmile:

I got into programming because it was more fun that a Rubik's cube ( yeah, I'm that old. )
Speaking of which: :happybday: Rubik's Cube. Yea, I'm that :wheelchair: too.

Hello, my name is CharlieMay and I'm an addict.

It's funny as most of my friends didn't have computers. I hung out with them and they would give me these odd looks when I would start talking about something I learned. I longed to be able to discuss this with people who would respond. It all started with me typing in games from Compute's Gazette and reading and trying to understand the code as I went along. Each line of code was another dose of some legal drug that gave me a euphoric feeling and kept me coming back for more. The next thing I know, I'm finding people who weren't accepted by the general High-School populous. Hanging out in corners of the commons area getting my fix. Their humor was different. I laughed at their math jokes because I got them. My other friends saw my addiction and tried to persuade me to stop but it was too late, the withdraw would be too hard to bear and I knew it. Each dose was becoming more and more potent. Bringing in sheets of paper containing hand-written blocks of code and showing them off only to find that instead of the odd looks, they were read over and critiqued or praised. I was a junkie. I am a junkie. By my senior year, we were taking machines apart, putting switches onto hard drives to toggle drive numbers and read\write sensors so that we didn't have to remove the tape to write to a floppy. We learned that cutting a notch on the opposite of that 5 1/4 floppy gave us the ability to turn it over and double our storage. Still trying to figure out how I ever met someone, got married and had kids. Don't even get me started about getting my first modem and discovering bbs's in the area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostCharlieMay, on 19 May 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

putting switches onto hard drives to toggle drive numbers and read\write sensors

OMG! Happy chips! I had the toaster sized floppy drive equipped. Most excellently, the wikipedia image actually shows a happy chip installed: that little silver toggle at the top is after market.

I knew my way around a sector editor early in life. I could hack a floppy with dictionary based encryption with my eyes closed.

My nefarious skill set was used for good in college, now in a 16-bit world with Norton's Utilities, I saved many a term paper from the dangers of data corruption.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

It all started about 12 years ago. I was playing an online game and a few guys in the server offered me their hacks. My first thought was "yeah right! that's not even a thing", but I went ahead and accepted it anyway. The first time I tested them I was blown away. I thought "How the heck is this possible!? I must learn how to do this!!" I did some research and attempted many time to make my own, but it never worked out. I gave up. A couple years later, on a different game, I was approached yet again by a "hacker". He claimed he could get peoples account information for the game and pillage their items. Yet again, I was skeptical. I was sure it wasn't real and he just wanted to steal MY stuff. But I was young and dumb, I happily joined them on TeamSpeak and got to know them. It was real, he could do what he said. Then he offered to teach me the basics of programming so I too could one day do what he was already doing. I spent a couple months learning the basics of C++. It was fantastic, though I never made a game hack because I felt it was wrong. I decided I needed to learn programming in school as it was destined to be my career choice! I started learning Java and ran with it for about 3 years. At this point, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with my life. I switched majors 7-8 times and stopped programming because I just didn't have anything I wanted to make. A couple years ago, I made the decision to get back into CS because I loved to so much when I was doing it. I enrolled in my local community college and signed up for the C++ intro class. The minute we started, it all came back. How fantastic it is to program. I ended up getting a job doing IT work at a small company. My boss said to me one day "In your spare time, I want you to sit down and learn a programming language. Pick one. C++ or C#. You're on the clock, so do it right."

TL;DR
I got into programming because I was fascinated by the hacks developed for online games. Started with Java about 7 years ago. Took a year off. Mix in about a year of C++ and now I have moved to C# and loving it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

When I found out I was gay I fell into a depression state, because I thought that I was going to be judged. Well, I wasn't. :3 But when I was in that depression I just was just thinking about my future. And I have always had a thing for computers, so one day I just tried learning HTML & CSS. So, I learned the very basics. Then I just followed from there. When I turned 14 (Just recently) I came out to my school and everyone accepted me. :D/> Either way, I decided that I wanted to be a programmer. By the way, me and Steve Jobs have the same birthday. :3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostMichael26, on 18 May 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Most people i know started to program because they wanted to make a game for PC, most of them quit after a week.

I started programming because I wanted to be a Decker out of Shadowrun.

Then I was spurred on by other things like Ghost in the Shell, the movie Hackers, so on and so forth. The idea of a virtual world and being able to control its essence...well, that's what it's always been to me. It may seem totally mundane to anyone else but to me it's the modern equivalent of magic, I'm a fucking wizard yo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

I have played video games since Pong. When I was 13 we got an AST Advantage and I spent most of my time in windows 3.11 fixing uninstalls due to demo disks from PC Gamer. This required messing with registry in some instances. When I turn 17, my parents said that I needed to go to college and choose a Major. I chose a Tech College and Choose Computer Programming. I picked up HTML,DHTML,XML, C++, Java, and VB there. Graduated, decided I want to program video games. Got a job as Help Desk for Gateway Computers. After many years later and picking up several other languages, my wife asked me what I wanted to do with my life. After several weeks of thinking, I told her program again. Now I am looking for a job to utilize my programming skills, working on a collaborative video game project, and going back to school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

My interest in computer programming came from the Demo Scene, I use to download cracks(erm for stuff..) back in the day and they included these things called demo's which just blew me away.. I wanted to make my own star field scroll-er :)/> so far I only made one but I’ve moved on to other things.. like socket programming and web dev lol..

sadly there are and were no demo groups in my country.. and the scene is getting smaller every year..

sigh..

This post has been edited by 8byte: 26 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

BASIC in 7th and 8th grade. C++ Freshman year and been using it as my main language since. In 20 years I've dabbled in a lot of languages (scripting, web, and programming). Most of them I learned because I just love languages and had a mental block so I started learning or playing with others. My dream job was to become a game programmer (professionally), but life has a funny way of intervening and I stopped applying for jobs and seeking programmer jobs two, almost three years ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

Well, that was probably the most depressing thing I've read today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

How is it depressing? I'm happy with how my life is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Sounds like the death of a dream, man
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Not at all, dreams change. I spend the day with my wife and son and get to program whatever tickles my fancy, play games with my son, or watch tv with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:13 AM

I got into programming when i was 15 and i stayed after classes for some extracurricular lessons, wrote my first program in GW-Basic
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +