2 Replies - 1645 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Usefulness of a specific class

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

I'm considering taking a summer class and am wondering how useful it would be for me. About me, I graduated a year ago with a comp sci minor, and I would like to get a job in software development. I'm in the IT industry, but I'm on the requirements gathering and data side of things, so no coding for me in my job other than SQL.

The class is called internet technology and its topics include IP protocols, media access protocols, socket programming in C/UNIX, multicasting, wireless and mobile communication, multimedia over the Internet, ATM, switching theory, and network architectures. It's prerequisites are computer architecture (also called computer organization at some schools) and discrete math.

A little more about my background: My comp sci minor consisted of algorithm analysis, data structures, discrete math, computer organization, software development, and an introductory comp sci class.

So to summarize, would taking this class be a good step towards getting a job in software development? Would the class itself be something worth adding to my resume/would a corporate recruiter be impressed with the addition of the skills I could gather from taking this class? Or is this class not particularly relevant towards my end goal?

This post has been edited by davidvee: 17 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Usefulness of a specific class

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Usefulness of a specific class

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Software development typically can't stand on its own. It needs to be paired up with other comp sci disciplines (and preferably completely different fields like business, accounting, math, other science fields etc) to be really effective. For instance, if you pair it up with wireless tech you becomes lethal in things like designing for Android or iOS because when you understand the wireless protocols and tech, you design software that can leverage the tech and make incredible things.

Another example, you pair it up with media and you get into creating some great programs that deal with image, audio, video etc. Pair it up with networking and you can build tools for troubleshooting networks, watching network traffic etc.

I would see that class as nothing but win for you. The more you can learn about other IT fields the more versatile and marketable you become. Hands down I would take it. Especially if it fits in a time period where you really aren't learning anything else... like during the summer. If I had to go through school all over again, I would have definitely taken computer classes in the summer. Even if the rest of the year I was also learning computing.

In short, taking that class is a no brainer in my book. It will only help you in the future.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 17 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Usefulness of a specific class

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 17 May 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Software development typically can't stand on its own. It needs to be paired up with other comp sci disciplines (and preferably completely different fields like business, accounting, math, other science fields etc) to be really effective. For instance, if you pair it up with wireless tech you becomes lethal in things like designing for Android or iOS because when you understand the wireless protocols and tech, you design software that can leverage the tech and make incredible things.

Another example, you pair it up with media and you get into creating some great programs that deal with image, audio, video etc. Pair it up with networking and you can build tools for troubleshooting networks, watching network traffic etc.

I would see that class as nothing but win for you. The more you can learn about other IT fields the more versatile and marketable you become. Hands down I would take it. Especially if it fits in a time period where you really aren't learning anything else... like during the summer. If I had to go through school all over again, I would have definitely taken computer classes in the summer. Even if the rest of the year I was also learning computing.

In short, taking that class is a no brainer in my book. It will only help you in the future.

:)/>

Thanks, looks like I'll be taking it then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1