3 Replies - 1613 Views - Last Post: 18 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer science graduate school?

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hey guys not sure if im in the right section but I could not find a better place to put it. I am in my senior year of college majoring in computer science and am deciding whether to get a masters degree in computer science. I heard graduate school for computer science is very theoretical, which I don't really like. Lately I have been interested in engineering and was deciding on doing master in an engineering field. which engineering field would most likely go in hand with computer science (not including computer engineering)? Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer science graduate school?

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer science graduate school?

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Depends where your interests are. Electrical would compliment the software side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

What are your research interests in CS? Systems, Human-Computer Interaction, AI, Numerical Analysis? Or are you going for a pay increase in industry?

Electrical and Computer Engineering go well with CS, but more from a Systems/Architecture perspective. Industrial Systems Engineering goes well with CS for operations research, which gets into things like optimization (linear programming, integer programming, dynamic programming), decision theory, statistics, etc. OR is highly theoretical.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

Almost everything in graduate school would be theoretical, be it CS or Engineering. IMO, postgraduate is where you see the "true colors" of those subjects you learned in your bachelor's level. You will be introduced to more advance concepts thus more theoretical. These theories will be used to prove your research or refute other research. In graduate school, you will be publishing papers in journals/conference a lot, so you need strong theoretical foundations to do so. You will also need to read maybe, hundreds of journal/conference paper which are highly theoretical in nature. If you are considering an engineering field for postgraduate studies, then be prepared to see some "bad ass" math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1