5 Replies - 1210 Views - Last Post: 18 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need advice regarding community software project

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum, so please go easy on me if this is a little O/T. d:-)

Anyway, here is my situation:

I recently got fired from my software engineering job, and have decided to use my new-found free time to work on something innovative - (in this case a security web service - but I digress).

The general idea was to put together a prototype, get in contact with a large organisation and effectively 'sell' the idea.

This would be ideal for me, since I would like money, but have no desire to face the stresses of running a business, and would be quite happy to pursue R&D work indefinitely.

Before I do this however, I need some (friendly) advice regarding this.

What I really need is a supportive group of friends to bounce ideas off - I've googled around, but things appear to be a bit a desert out there... I need to network, but feel a little isolated, and don't know where to start - or who to trust for that matter.

Constructive feedback welcome,

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need advice regarding community software project

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need advice regarding community software project

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

... I am not sure if I am following - what is the question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

View Posttehuti, on 18 May 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

I recently got fired from my software engineering job, and have decided to use my new-found free time to work on something innovative - (in this case a security web service - but I digress).

What kind of service?

The general idea was to put together a prototype, get in contact with a large organisation and effectively 'sell' the idea.

This would be ideal for me, since I would like money, but have no desire to face the stresses of running a business, and would be quite happy to pursue R&D work indefinitely.

Nice in theory anyway.

What I really need is a supportive group of friends to bounce ideas off - I've googled around, but things appear to be a bit a desert out there... I need to network, but feel a little isolated, and don't know where to start - or who to trust for that matter.

Thanks,

What ideas do you need bounced?

Where are you looking at starting? You need a more fine tuned idea before you can start anything.

I have trouble trusting people I can see and personally know with somethings. Over the internet where you literally have no idea whom you are dealing with is especially touchy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

Sorry I was a little vague.

To be more specific, I am looking for the following:

1) A friend or business partner, (or both), something like S. Jobs to my S. Wozniak. :rockon:
2) A group of folks who will test out my code and offer constructive feedback.
3) How best to contact the Big Guys in the tech industry? (not quite ready for this yet!).

In case you were curious, the service is to be basically a SOAP web service, written in Java. The service will faciliate the publishing of RSA public keys and their associated X509 certificates.

Once this is done, I will be looking at writing a whole slew of plugins and a 'smart' client to provide encryption and signing services across all platforms.

That's the idea anyhow.

I think the real question is where I should start - perhaps some hints and tips? - (all a bit nebulous I know).

Cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Steve Jobs was more of a salesman than anything else. So, that would be your #3 question. That could probably wait until you have a product to sell. Ideas are a dime a dozen.

Beta testers are not hard to find when the product is nearing completion for alpha stage.

I would start with broad strokes of what needs to be done, which it looks like you have. Then move on to lower levels until you have a solid hold on what to accomplish. The next step is to break everything down into managable pieces just like any other development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

It sounds like you're saying "I want to make friends." Anyone that doesn't know you is going to immediately wonder why you have to seek out strangers to bounce ideas off of. They're going to wonder why you can't bounce these ideas off of your existing friends and family.

You sound like you're saying you have an idea, but nothing more. And don't want to run a business. And you don't want to be the sales person. And you don't want to deal with people face to face. Well, that sounds like you're saying you just want to be an employee in a basement someplace. So what's the problem, go find a job.

You can't say you want to be in control of your idea, and guide others about it, but not be burdened with the stress of running a business. Its one or the other. Either someone else runs the business, takes the stress, takes the lion share of the profits, does the marketing and leaves you to do your R&D for them - Or not.

If you have something genuine, then build it and a website to sell it. If you don't have something solid... Find a job where you can just take your assignments and be happy doing development and let someone else deal with the stress and the profits.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1