3 Replies - 328 Views - Last Post: 20 May 2014 - 04:49 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Database design

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm in dilemma how to organize my database to be fast. Let me first explain what I want to do (what is my problem).

1. I'm printing BAR code labels that I stick on the product. At this stage I need to log BAR code and time stamp.
2. After sticking those labels on a product I check with BAR code reader if is the right BAR code on the product. At this stage I need to log which BAR code was read with BAR code reader and time stamp.
3. Then I put the product to the palette, where I again make control with the BAR code reader. I know which products goes into the pallet and the quantity that goes in the pallet. I can only put product in the pallet if printed BAR code match BAR Code read in step number 2, if BAR code on a product match BAR code on a pallet and if quantity in the pallet does not exceed maximum number. Here I need again to log the time stamp and the product that it's in pallet.

I know I can create one table containing all the data and than make queries but. Problem is that there will be round 2000 entries per day. So I need to optimize the database to be fast. Since I'm not experienced with databases I would be glad if some one can point me to right direction.

Best Regards

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Database design

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Database design

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Hey.

2000 entries per day is really nothing any of the major RDBMS can't handle. At least not based on your description of this. It would be 730,000 entries per year, which with only a handful of short string and integer fields would not be a great deal for any database system to handle.

Optimization - outside of common things like indexing - is generally something that is considered differently for each database system. Which database are you planing to use?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

he probably needs multiple tables where one table could store the item info, another location info, another rejection info, and so on. i would then use item id across the board as a foreign key
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:49 AM

I'm planing to use PostgreSQL. So your suggesting I create database with all columns I need and than just update single entries depending on the sequence. Query should take less than a second after 3 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1