11 Replies - 1431 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Entry Programming Interview Question

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hello All,

I am going in for a logic/technical exercise/interview on Tuesday. The lady in HR I was talking with says it should just be a quick exercise. I was just trying to get an idea of what this entails? I have currently just graduated from college and this is my first Entry Position interview meeting with three members of the development team. I have already met with two other developers and had the get to know you interview.

Thank you for any and all information

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Entry Programming Interview Question

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Entry Programming Interview Question

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

logic/technical exercise/interview

They are going to ask you questions, and probably have some exercises for you to work out to prove you have the skills required for the job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

They will give you a client requirement and have you convert it into code more than likely. It is used to check if you can do what you say and how your logic flows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 24 May 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

They will give you a client requirement and have you convert it into code more than likely. It is used to check if you can do what you say and how your logic flows.

Ah ok the job is writing mostly in VB Script, I had tried to talk with my teachers but they just kept saying it is Entry level and won't be too difficult but never really gave me an idea of what I was going to be doing. I was more or less wondering if it would be sort of a flow chart exercise or pseudocode exercise. Along with if it would be moretechnical based or generalized logic questions since after Goggling some stuff I found that big companies like to do Generalized logic questions. Not worried about either but wanted to get a slight leg up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

More than likely your teachers will not know, unless others have reported what happened. There is no telling what the questions will be, and it should sort of be a surprise. Regardless of the problem your logic will stay the same. They want to findout how you think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Ah ok the job is writing mostly in VB Script,

Oh. Sorry to hear that.

I had tried to talk with my teachers but they just kept saying it is Entry level and won't be too difficult but never really gave me an idea of what I was going to be doing.

Well... How would they? You do know that there isn't some master organization that dictates this stuff, right? Every company in the world does not subscribe to the same test-providing service. They are all their own entities. If you are going to work for BP Petroleum they have different needs, and software and customers and ways of doing business than does the hospital down the street, or the insurance company.

One of them will use GIT for source control, another will use TFS, another will use Perforce.

One will mandate a solid adherence to SCRUM principals. One will have you write code, then write your unit tests; while the next has you design the test first in order to specify all the requirements, then write the code so it can pass the tests.

You're leaving school and entering the real world. At school everything was mandated and controlled by a governing body that set the minimum standards that all the students had to pass. Curriculum mostly had to follow the same requirements and so on. Well... That's behind you now. In the world its all different. Private industry is different than government work. And every business or agency has their own needs and their own ways.

You did know and expect that, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 24 May 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

Ah ok the job is writing mostly in VB Script,

Oh. Sorry to hear that.

I had tried to talk with my teachers but they just kept saying it is Entry level and won't be too difficult but never really gave me an idea of what I was going to be doing.

Well... How would they? You do know that there isn't some master organization that dictates this stuff, right? Every company in the world does not subscribe to the same test-providing service. They are all their own entities. If you are going to work for BP Petroleum they have different needs, and software and customers and ways of doing business than does the hospital down the street, or the insurance company.

One of them will use GIT for source control, another will use TFS, another will use Perforce.

One will mandate a solid adherence to SCRUM principals. One will have you write code, then write your unit tests; while the next has you design the test first in order to specify all the requirements, then write the code so it can pass the tests.

You're leaving school and entering the real world. At school everything was mandated and controlled by a governing body that set the minimum standards that all the students had to pass. Curriculum mostly had to follow the same requirements and so on. Well... That's behind you now. In the world its all different. Private industry is different than government work. And every business or agency has their own needs and their own ways.

You did know and expect that, right?

You seem to think I was asking them what my job would entail. I understand what I will be doing with the company. I was mainly trying to figure out the type of problems I would be seeing during this portion of the interview process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

He was just pointing out that there is no way of knowing. Testing can be different between departments let alone companies. Go in there with an open mind, because you probably won't be doing what you think. That goes for the testing as well as the position.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 24 May 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

He was just pointing out that there is no way of knowing. Testing can be different between departments let alone companies. Go in there with an open mind, because you probably won't be doing what you think. That goes for the testing as well as the position.

Ah ok I guess I just like to overly prepare sometimes, just had a newborn so really trying everything I can to get this job. So was seeing if there was a way to just kinda prepare but none the less thank you both for the insight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

View Postshibbymcpot, on 24 May 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

You seem to think I was asking them what my job would entail. I understand what I will be doing with the company. I was mainly trying to figure out the type of problems I would be seeing during this portion of the interview process.

If you know what the job will entail, then you know the kinds of questions they will ask - at least as well as anyone else could know.

If the job entails writing VB scripts to import sales data - then the questions will be about that.
If the job entails writing code to operate security cameras - then the questions will be about that.
[...]

You at least know the job description you applied for, and what you know of the company and its products and the clients PLUS what you learned from the earlier interviews. None of us know any of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

One interview I did, which resulted in a job offer (which I declined in favor of slightly lower salary with a much better company - and it's a good thing cause news just came out that they laid off their ENTIRE programming department, I'd already be out of work again) entailed them giving me a requirement doc and 30 minutes to write the program.

It was relatively straightforward. "The database is already set up with the information you need, write the front-end for it with this functionality, here's what you need to connect to it"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

I had a similar experience. Except they outsourced the entire department and 6 months later started hiring consultants because of the quality they were seeing from the new company. If it hadn't of been for the drive time I would have been layedoff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1