Career Change to Programing

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 3884 Views - Last Post: 29 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Career Change to Programing

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hello all! I have a degree in education but want to make a career change to programing and possibly software development. My idea was to get a post baccalaureate degree in computer science, but am not sure if this would be enough for me to land an entry level job. Here is an example of a post bad computer sci program.
http://eecs.oregonst...ine-cs-students
Thanks for your input!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Career Change to Programing

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Career Change to Programing

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

Moved to Student Campus.

I strongly discourage you from going an online route for CS. I'm all for the merits of self-learning, but a classroom experience offers collaboration and interaction with your peers. Much of your learning will come from these interactions. As to whether or not you can land an entry level job, that entirely depends on how much of the material you absorb, your skillset, and your demonstrated abilities to produce.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

Perhaps talk to a local tech recruiter firm (or five) in the area? You aren't first person to switch careers..

I would be more interested in the class load..
http://eecs.oregonst...m/track-options
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 27 May 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

Moved to Student Campus.

I strongly discourage you from going an online route for CS. I'm all for the merits of self-learning, but a classroom experience offers collaboration and interaction with your peers. Much of your learning will come from these interactions. As to whether or not you can land an entry level job, that entirely depends on how much of the material you absorb, your skillset, and your demonstrated abilities to produce.

thank you for your reply.

I do have the option of completing a masters locally as an alternative, but it is advisable for someone who has no comp sci experience?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

With the masters - typically the hurdle of the subject orientated GRE puts that in the negative.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

I do have the option of completing a masters locally as an alternative, but it is advisable for someone who has no comp sci experience?

Not as an education major. If you were a math, hard sciences, or had some graduate coursework in economics, then perhaps a masters would work. Note that I'm not knocking the Bachelor's. I'm knocking the online part of it. Math and computer science courses are not things you should take online unless you already know what you're doing. And if you're taking them to learn rather than knock out required credits, then online isn't the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 27 May 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Not as an education major. If you were a math, hard sciences, or had some graduate coursework in economics, then perhaps a masters would work. Note that I'm not knocking the Bachelor's. I'm knocking the online part of it. Math and computer science courses are not things you should take online unless you already know what you're doing. And if you're taking them to learn rather than knock out required credits, then online isn't the way to go.

hmmm so that limits my options. Are you suggesting that getting a second bacelors on a campus would be a good option?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Do you have any experience in programming at all? It's not necessarily important to get a degree in CS to get a job if you can demonstrate sufficient proficiency via a portfolio of some sort. The fact that you have a degree at all is of assistance. If you're not necessarily looking to make big bucks right off the bat, you could try a "development boot camp." For example, if by the NJ in NJCoder you mean you're in New Jersey, perhaps if you're close enough you could consider The Flatiron School. There are likely others in the city as well. My understanding of these programs is that they're expensive, intensive, and they provide employment assistance on graduation.

When I made my career switch from the medical field to programming, I was laid off and took advantage of a UNIX/C Programming certificate course offered by a local polytechnic. I had already been programming, but where my degree was in Chemistry, in the mid-90s that wasn't enough, so I got the piece of paper there and got a job (through a recruiter hired by the school) fairly readily.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 27 May 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Do you have any experience in programming at all? It's not necessarily important to get a degree in CS to get a job if you can demonstrate sufficient proficiency via a portfolio of some sort. The fact that you have a degree at all is of assistance. If you're not necessarily looking to make big bucks right off the bat, you could try a "development boot camp." For example, if by the NJ in NJCoder you mean you're in New Jersey, perhaps if you're close enough you could consider The Flatiron School. There are likely others in the city as well. My understanding of these programs is that they're expensive, intensive, and they provide employment assistance on graduation.

When I made my career switch from the medical field to programming, I was laid off and took advantage of a UNIX/C Programming certificate course offered by a local polytechnic. I had already been programming, but where my degree was in Chemistry, in the mid-90s that wasn't enough, so I got the piece of paper there and got a job (through a recruiter hired by the school) fairly readily.

Wow that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Are schools like this truly reputable in today's job market?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

I went back to school for a certificate in tech writing - after a BA in linguistics and a couple of years bumming around playing music and organizing unions and running record labels and managing coffee shops and stuff - and wound up working as a programmer. So it's definitely possible to switch into tech with a minimal sort of degree.

However, I don't think I'd advise you to do an online program. You really want to be in the room with good professors, and talking to them after class, and you want to be in the room with other students. I've done a fair few courses through coursera since I left UMass, and frankly, I think online courses are mostly bullshit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 27 May 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

I went back to school for a certificate in tech writing - after a BA in linguistics and a couple of years bumming around playing music and organizing unions and running record labels and managing coffee shops and stuff - and wound up working as a programmer. So it's definitely possible to switch into tech with a minimal sort of degree.

However, I don't think I'd advise you to do an online program. You really want to be in the room with good professors, and talking to them after class, and you want to be in the room with other students. I've done a fair few courses through coursera since I left UMass, and frankly, I think online courses are mostly bullshit.

thats for the advice, I'm definitely learning towards the certificate route now, I just want to find some more information about how good job prospects are
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostNJCoder, on 27 May 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

Wow that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Are schools like this truly reputable in today's job market?

Quality will vary from school-to-school. You'll have to do your research, but Flatiron is one of the better-known, and I think more reputable, programs of this type. Dev BootCamp is another that I know of, and they also have a NY location if that's of interest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

I have to say, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to look at a 12-week program and think "okay, I'm hiring this guy". Obviously, I'm going to defer to others with actual experience on this, but if I saw someone listing that as their main item under "education" I'd probably not call them in for the interview unless there was something else really incredible about them.

Putting it simply, these guys totally redline my BS detector. Programming is not about just "type the right stuff and google what you don't know". You don't learn it in three months.

Looking at what they offer, they're going to tell you to watch some pre-recorded lectures on other people's sites, and then they're going to show you how to use a couple of plug-and-play technologies that are already well documented, and coach you through a trivial project. To me, this looks like a complete waste of your time and money. And it's not a small amount of money, either - $12,000 is a lot of scratch. You could do a year at UMass Boston for that, taking a full load with some serious professors. (unfortunately, that's the in-state rate, so it doesn't help you that much, but it's a useful comparison)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

If you do have the money, I would second Jon on this. You have a degree, take some courses on an out of pocket bases. Real school , real professor, real credit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

yeah sometimes when things seem too good to be true they are but I'll research these programs more
currently another on campus bachelors or a certificate program both seem like strong options
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +