5 Replies - 1234 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is there a need to seporate WPF and Winform threads?

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hey all,

I have asked for help with Winforms applications a few times now, and have received the same advice to go to WPF - http://www.dreaminco...-code-question/

I was thinking: DreamInCode supports VB6 discussions, why would Winforms be a problem?

Would splitting C# into WPF and Winforms threads be a good idea (like VB.NET and VB6)?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is there a need to seporate WPF and Winform threads?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is there a need to seporate WPF and Winform threads?

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

It's not a problem. Winforms are still used in the workforce... but at the end of the day winforms in c# and wpf in c# are still c#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Most questions here are still about WinForms rather than WPF. However, if it isn't clear from your question, then you might include a note early on "..in WinForms.." just to make it clear.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

View Postclick_here, on 02 June 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

DreamInCode supports VB6 discussions,

Q: And what is 90% of the answers in VB6?
A: You should at least move to VB.NET and work in *this* century.

The questions where that doesn't really apply aren't really VB6 most of the time; its VB scripting from within MS Office, MS Excel or MS Outlook - Not really writing a genuine program.

If you look around there are forums still supporting VB6, Cobol and Pascal. Just like there are auto parts supplies that can still find you parts for your Studebaker or your Ford Model-T. But like any long out of date technology you have to eventually recognize that you are behind the times, and have chosen for one reason or another to stick with a 'legacy' system knowing full well that it had been superseded.

You don't try to force the local GM dealership took keep someone on staff that still knows how to repair a 1940 Edsel. Why do you expect that the volunteers on a site are going to continue to hold themselves back? Honestly most people that are drawn to technology have a natural bend towards staying AHEAD of the curve. Always have to have the latest phone... Always have to upgrade their PCs... Always playing around with the latest releases even if they are Alpha versions known to have issues. Or strangely enough, always trying to master the software technology that is currently in demand so they can hold a job - and hopefully master the next software technology that WILL BECOME in demand so they are ahead of their competition for a promotion and a raise.

As pointed out C# is C#. And if you want to hold yourself back a decade by staying in WinForms nobody is stopping you. But if you ask for advice on the best way to do something people are going to give it to you even if the best way is to use modern technology that makes your life easier. There are 100 wrong ways to do anything. And we see them all. And we tell people that we won't help them to continue going down the wrong road by telling them how to patch up crappy code. It leads to someone else taking that advice as a precedent or us condoning doing something the wrong way. Telling someone how to patch up the wrong way always get twisted back on us as use *recommending* that wrong way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

There are also a lot of "I'm just learning C# and have a problem..." questions that get asked. They don't always come out and say that but we can sometimes guess by their question. We suggest they use the latest (greatest?) if you are just learning. I don't think many people start learning English by studying Chaucer and Shakespeare. You wait until you understand the modern language before learning the old stuff.

Edit: And only learn the old stuff if you really have to. I slept through all of my Chaucer and Shakespeare blocks.

This post has been edited by Robin19: 18 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Is there really all that much *just* C#? I mean, really? Who learns with the intent of only ever making C# dll's that will never have a user interface, or some kind of embedded device use?

Who really has the intent of learning C# in a vacuum with no real-world every-day application? Isn't the intent to be able to write programs? Aren't 95% of the people learning C# intending to write software that a user will use and interact with? C# might be their first step in that journey, but it is not the only step.

Like any journey your path has to start with where you are, but also target an eventual destination. If you don't travel a course that leads to the destination then you never get there. In today's world that destination includes WPF far more than WinForm.

Using your example of English, does anyone say "I just want to learn the words I need to know to write a mystery novel"? Therefore they don't need the words about painting, but do need the words about running. And when you learn English, you also must learn the context of the reader. To write decent American English stories you need to know to say "Gas", but Australian English you say "Petrol". Environmental context becomes part of what you need to know. Same in C#. Modern environmental context means WPF.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1