Apple's new programming language: Swift

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 7358 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Re: Apple's new programming language: Swift

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

lol the absolute best part of the that is that the top bing results have nothing to do with lolCode how far down the link to lolcode.org is

This post has been edited by depricated: 04 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

You are welcome!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

I don't write platform specific stuff so I could care less about Apple's latest "earth-shattering" offering. I suppose if I wanted to write an installable app, I'd have to look at this. Since I don't, I won't.

That said, I had someone just 2 weeks ago or so look at a website I wrote that rendered actually really well on their iPhone and ask if I could make it into a downloadable app. I wrote the site using Bootstrap so yeah, it's already mobile enabled...but they wanted an app for it. I asked what the app will do that the site won't and they said something to the effect of "oh, nothing...we just thought we should have an app". Since they're not the paying customer I declined saying "the app is the already installed web browser" and they let it go.

But that exchange got me noticing that there is an app for damned near everything these days. Take, for instance, the GEICO app that every third commercial is pimping these days. Does anyone REALLY need a dedicated application to manage their automobile insurance? Really? There is a commercial for ServPro wherein they pimp their app. ServPro is a cleanup service...like if your house burns or gets flooded (or gets flooded to put out the burninating). Does anyone really need an app for ServPro? Wendy's (the burger chain) has a frickin' app. For what God unknown reason would anyone need an app installed on their phone for Wendy's?

It just seems to me that the "cool thing du jour" is for a company to have an app whether one is useful and warranted or not.

I now return you from this tangential, minimally-related rant to your regularly proceeding thread already in progress.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

It just seems to me that the "cool thing du jour" is for a company to have an app whether one is useful and warranted or not.

Perhaps I'm just being the old guy here, but I remember when the same observation was routinely made about web sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Oh, this thread was derailed a long time ago.

My only problem with web-browser apps is the always online requirement over an actual app, but I get what you're saying...what the hell is the point of downloading an insurance app?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

The point is for them to snag your info. Much like that flashlight app.

Tens of millions of Android users have been "deceived" by a developer who covertly gathered personal data, the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-25258621
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 04 June 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Perhaps I'm just being the old guy here, but I remember when the same observation was routinely made about web sites.

I'm probably older but I recall that as well. Back then though, it was more like having a billboard on the information superhighway. It didn't do anything but it also didn't cost the user anything either. If they happened across your site then cool. If they didn't well they didn't. That was also back before interactivity and e-commerce. Once they could actually make money from a site then a site was an absolute necessity.

Apps (to me) are a little different. They require an active participating user installing it on their phone and taking up storage space. For the example apps I mentioned, I don't discern the advantage of having an app installed on your phone for the exceptionally rare times you wreck your car, have your house flood or burn down, or be absolutely lost in a strange town when the undeniable urge to house down a Baconator strikes. I get the app advantage of loading up data in an app so as to still be useful whenever you're not connected to a data stream of some type...but still.

Allstate has been false voicing their ad all over the place wherein their app lets you report a claim, submit pictures and such...but how bad a driver do you have to be if that feature is what makes you say "damn, THAT could save me a lot of time"? Full disclosure: I wrote a fair chunk of the back end of what turned out to be an app for the end of automobile claims where the vehicle was totalled. The piece I wrote was to facilitate a claimant's choice to connect to TrueCar if they wanted to try and get a replacement for their totalled vehicle with the payout funds. Allstate, Mercury and one or two others had subscribed to using the third party vendor I was contracting with at the time but even so, it wasn't app-specific (although I'm told today it's an option on some of their apps).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

one job I interviewed for, that I really wanted, was for an ad agency who wanted to expand their catalog to include apps for all their clients. Only iphone though. I didn't get it because I don't know Objective-C. But basically, they design ad campaigns and such,and wanted to start including apps with their ads.

So ya, everything gets an app. And like jon said, there was a time this was said about websites too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

To my mind there's two things people want to do with apps for their sites. Partly it's about providing better access to data and functionality than can be done with simply showing the website with tweaks, and partly it's about letting people put your site right on their phone's screen, rather than putting it in their phone's browser's bookmarks. The latter is partly to give them more direct access to the site, and partly about driving and ratifying their engagement with the site. ("I'm a real foo.com user - I've even got the app!")
The balance of these priorities depends of course on the nature of the business - I expect there's a relatively small interest in engagement with your insurance company, but maybe thinkgeek.com would like to have their users thinking of themselves as "thinkgeek people", and that'd be a big part of their focus when it comes to developing an app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Several posts here made me think of: http://blog.codingho...-pocalypse-now/

It's an odd move. There are already too many crappy apps in the world. Will making app programming "easier" lead to fewer crappy apps in the world, or more?

The motivation could be to woo Android programmers, who at least get to play in higher level Java world. This makes some degree of sense, but it's hard to say how much that would succeed.

Now, if they offered some kind of toolkit to get something HTML5/Javascript to run native, they might be onto something. Of course, that might make development on other mobile devices easier, which is the last thing they want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

There are already too many crappy apps in the world.

This doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. The world has search in it. Why do I care if someone hires a few developers to make a crappy app that I don't care about. I don't care about it, and I'll never see it, and some developer has made a few bucks and a line on their resume. Am I bothered? I think I am not.

Will making app programming "easier" lead to fewer crappy apps in the world, or more?

I think the answer is clearly more. Will it lead to fewer good apps in the world, or more? Also, more. So that's okay. Maybe one of the good ones will be one I like.

What I'm really concerned with is the lack of an ecosystem for open-source apps. Particularly considering cases like the flashlight scenario, I'd really like to have a sort of sourceforge for apps, with some sort of promise that what I'm putting on my phone is built from the source I'm seeing in front of me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

What's the flashlight scenario? I don't have a lot on my phone, mostly games (real games, not like..zynga shit - Settlers of Catan, Elder Sign: Omens, Talisman, etc) and the stock bloatware. And Audible.

I want to make apps, but honestly the last time I looked at doing so it was a total nightmare. The Android documentation was abysmal, it made MSDN look downright helpful, and the tutorials I found - including gabehabe's - still left me wondering what to do with the XML. I think I'll take a look again tonight when I get home. I've learned ASP since then, so maybe some of the principals will apply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

The Android documentation IS awful. The Xamarin documentation is much better than the Android documentation, and they talk about the XML stuff. So you could take a peek @ that to better understand of the XML stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

I use Xamarin, and I have to 100% disagree. Their documentation is very incomplete and very very basic compared to either Android OR iOS documentation.

EDIT: I love swift so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 04 June 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

I use Xamarin, and I have to 100% disagree. Their documentation is very incomplete and very very basic compared to either Android OR iOS documentation.

EDIT: I love swift so far.

I think that the Xamarin documentation gives you a good overview and combined with the forums, you can get good answers. But it's literally impossible to find certain parts of the documentation without googling it.

Also, get your swift/apple loving propaganda out of this thread, negative opinions only.

This post has been edited by Xaos: 04 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +