Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Marquee in css

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Marquee in css

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:13 AM

my first question would be "why?" marquee in my opinion should be avoided like the plague, along with it's counterpart blink.

css is for styles, etc. You would likely be looking at javascript or some other language to create such a thing. As far as I know css cannot do anything like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 11 Oct, 2007 - 06:13 AM, said:

my first question would be "why?" marquee in my opinion should be avoided like the plague, along with it's counterpart blink.

css is for styles, etc. You would likely be looking at javascript or some other language to create such a thing. As far as I know css cannot do anything like that.

HTML can do marquees.
http://www.quackit.c...arquee_code.cfm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

it CAN, but it shouldn't
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

View Postasadarnell, on 11 Oct, 2007 - 06:33 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but Marquee was kinda cool back in the early 90's and such, but if anyone uses it today they should be strung up by their toes. Just my opinion :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:57 AM

View Postlalith, on 8 Oct, 2007 - 07:08 AM, said:

How to Marquee a text using CSS?
Currently, you canít create marquees purely via CSS; youíd have to use (non‐standard) scripting to adjust the CSS over time or violate the HTML 4.01 specification and use the marquee element.

Several marquee properties are available as part of the CSS3 Basic Box Model module, but that module is still in W3C Working Draft status and I know of no implementations to date. See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee if interested.

View Postasadarnell, on 11 Oct, 2007 - 08:33 PM, said:

Thereís no marquee element defined in the HTML 4.01 specification. There is one mentioned in the HTML 5 specification, but it hasnít been defined yet and the specification is still a W3C Working Draft. The marquee element is a proprietary creation of Microsoft that was subsequently added to other browsers for the sake of Internet Explorer compatibility; technically, the extension is incompatible with the HTML 4.01 specification since use of it would make your document invalid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:31 AM

View PostArbitrator, on 12 Oct, 2007 - 12:57 AM, said:

View Postlalith, on 8 Oct, 2007 - 07:08 AM, said:

How to Marquee a text using CSS?
Currently, you canít create marquees purely via CSS; youíd have to use (non‐standard) scripting to adjust the CSS over time or violate the HTML 4.01 specification and use the marquee element.

Several marquee properties are available as part of the CSS3 Basic Box Model module, but that module is still in W3C Working Draft status and I know of no implementations to date. See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#marquee if interested.

View Postasadarnell, on 11 Oct, 2007 - 08:33 PM, said:

Thereís no marquee element defined in the HTML 4.01 specification. There is one mentioned in the HTML 5 specification, but it hasnít been defined yet and the specification is still a W3C Working Draft. The marquee element is a proprietary creation of Microsoft that was subsequently added to other browsers for the sake of Internet Explorer compatibility; technically, the extension is incompatible with the HTML 4.01 specification since use of it would make your document invalid.

Didn't know that.

I do agree it's tacky, and VERY unprofessional.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Guest_Jim*

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

While you may not like it, etc. It does have its uses. For instance, recent large snow falls in the mid-Atlantic area caused cancellations of a number of workshops. While I could certainly just have posted it announcement in plain text (or bold or italic, or ...) it wouldn't have had the same eye-catching aspect as marquee did. Granted I only used it for a short specific period of time, but my users thanked me for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

The <marquee> tag as said before is deprecated. if you want to create a similar effect you could create an animated gif.

If you have to post mass information such as school cancellations or some other event cancellation you could create a flashy button linked to a new page that lists everything. More professional, more efficient, more 2k, and is cross browser compatible. Not every uses IE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

View PostArbitrator, on 11 October 2007 - 11:57 PM, said:

To follow up here, the current draft of the HTML 5 specification specifies the marquee element, but labels it as "obsolete" [1][2]; instead, it recommends using CSS3 animations [3] and transitions [4].

The marquee properties were removed from the CSS3 Basic Box Model specification [5] and put into their own specification called CSS3 Marquee. [6] If I'm not mistaken, CSS3 Marquee is aimed authors targeting mobile users since mobile users often have limited screen space.

Thereís no marquee element defined in the HTML 4.01 specification. There is one mentioned in the HTML 5 specification, but it hasnít been defined yet and the specification is still a W3C Working Draft.
It appears to be defined in the current draft of the HTML 5 spec. [1][2]

View PostJim, on 10 February 2010 - 10:00 AM, said:

While you may not like it, etc. It does have its uses. For instance, recent large snow falls in the mid-Atlantic area caused cancellations of a number of workshops. While I could certainly just have posted it announcement in plain text (or bold or italic, or ...) it wouldn't have had the same eye-catching aspect as marquee did. Granted I only used it for a short specific period of time, but my users thanked me for it.
What would be interesting to know is if they thanked you because (1) the information was specifically displayed as a marquee; (2) the information was displayed in a prominent manner (i.e., it would have been fine to display it in another manner); (3) or the information was simply provided to the user.

Personally, I find marquees annoying because of the animation and less accessible (i.e., readable) due to the fact that the text moves and is sometimes only partially visible due to said animation.

Do you notice this?

You mentioned bold and italic font styles, but I wonder if you considered increasing the size of the text, altering its color and/or background color, or changing the font to make the text appear more prominent. I would guess that, if done right, the text would have surely still been noticed along with your document being conforming to the relevant HTML/XHTML specification and a little more accessible.

View PostNykc, on 10 February 2010 - 10:20 AM, said:

The <marquee> tag as said before is deprecated. if you want to create a similar effect you could create an animated gif.
Interesting idea; never heard that one before. Personally, I would use ECMAScript to animate text if I had to do so since it doesn't have the download overhead. (I would still avoid the marquee effect if possible though.)

View PostNykc, on 10 February 2010 - 10:20 AM, said:

Not every uses IE.
I believe all browsers already support the marquee element and are required to per the HTML5 draft specification [1][2] for backward-compatibility reasons, though authors are still not supposed to use the element.

This post has been edited by Arbitrator: 10 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Guest_bennydtown*

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

Ahh, I love the knee-jerk reactions of the zealots: "the web ended with Lynx!", "flash is the devil" or "marquees are for commies!" Very constructive.

Of course there are valid business cases for Marquee scrollers, particularly when you start looking at mobile clients, games and real time applications. Probably not worth trying to argue that point in this forum, but if you have any doubt, I dare you to turn on ESPN right now.

The link to quackit.com above covers the deprecated <marquee> element. As stated above it is not compliant, but it is broadly supported. Works for plain text, but support for nested elements gets sketchy. I'd recommend avoiding it.

I'd recommend taking a look at this jQuery plugin:
http://remysharp.com...smooth-marquee/

Good Luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

well here is a marquee and to be honest i dont thik you want to be using them in a website

there very plain and so like 1990

<marquee scrollamount=22 direction=left width=1000 height=31> 
This is a marquee
</marquee>

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

View Postbennydtown, on 04 May 2010 - 02:14 AM, said:

Ahh, I love the knee-jerk reactions of the zealots: "the web ended with Lynx!", "flash is the devil" or "marquees are for commies!" Very constructive.
I'll be the first to commend you on these two oh-so-constructive comments.

Of course there are valid business cases for Marquee scrollers, particularly when you start looking at mobile clients, games and real time applications.
I'd like to see one of these "business cases". Your linked article also makes this claim, but then doesn't actually make the case for the cases that it claims exist.

The only one of these that seems to make any sense is the mobile case and that's due to limited screen real-estate. I'm not sure how strong that case is though since I've never seen one in the wild. I can't see any strong reason why one would have to use a marquee in a desktop environment.

Probably not worth trying to argue that point in this forum, but if you have any doubt, I dare you to turn on ESPN right now.
Television is not the Web.

Even there, I haven't been impressed with the use of marquees. I can't count the number of times that I've seen a news snippet go by that I wasn't able to fully read (e.g., headlines, lists of school closures due to bad weather, etc.). If I want to finish reading it, I end up having to wait an ambiguous amount of time for the marquee to re-cycle to that point in the scroll process which, of course, may never happen if the channel goes to a commercial break first.

I'd recommend taking a look at this jQuery plugin:
http://remysharp.com...smooth-marquee/
I suppose that this solution isn't as bad as the element. I may be able to, at least, disable the offending script with NoScript (a Firefox extension). Then again, considering how many sites unnecessarily break when scripting is disabled, perhaps not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

Maybe an alternative to marquee is a cycling ad (like above the inbox in gmail). Just make it cycle, not scroll, every 30 seconds or so. It's a feasible idea and if the user doesn't have Javascript enabled they will still see the first ad no matter what.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hey guys, I registered on your forum so I could post and possibly bump this topic, as I see some very positive uses for the marquee in the future.

I am not a web programmer, and I know enough about computing to get by. Instead, I write sci-fi, and lately, I have been looking at self-publishing on the web. To make my site more innovative and interesting, I have decided to use the marquee to deliver long strings of text. It serves two purposes: One of them is to keep my readers eyes from getting tired (I usually set my widths to around 200). The second is to keep my readers on the page, as they can sit back and read text on their computers (or on a TV, as I prefer to browse the web).

I have also found some unforseen advantages. The marquee greatly enhances readability on cell phones and reading devices. I fill the empty space of the page (for those viewing on a home computer) with graphics and artwork related to the scenes in the chapters they are reading, and all-in-all, this medium is my personal favorite way to deliver my work to my readers. So far, I have only been able to deliver my test page to a friends and family, and they agree it is much more captivating to read this way.

Some things I hope web developers will look into in the future are widgets which can slow the speed of the marquee for each individual reader. I can then make the marquee wider for readers who prefer traditional book-sized widths, while letting them keep pace with the scrolling. I would also love to see a bookmark option, in which an IP address (or even a login) could let each reader bookmark a line quickly and easily. If there is a way to integrate animations with a marquee (perhaps with some sort of parallax scrolling?) I could make my characters literally come to life on the page, as the reader progresses through the novel. I am also still getting the hang of the mouse-over stop function. I only know html and css, and have gotten far enough to make a dynamic page, and as I sit here on my couch, I can only imagine the possibilities of the marquee tool for future uses on smaller devices.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Maybe some of you could point me in the right direction to find tools which I am not even aware of? This html element is the future of web publishing. I would love to hear some more ideas of the possibilities of marquee, and less "they are so 90's". Marquee needs to evolve, and I am aware of the recent resurgence of the j-query marquee, but it is still a bit lackluster to me. Imagine, reading a book as the characters interact on the screen. Anyway, maybe I'm just dreaming...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1