C++ Programming on a TI-84

Can you load C++ programs on a calculator?

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 6075 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2007 - 10:24 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ Programming on a TI-84

Post icon  Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

Good day. I recently purchased a TI-84 calculator and realized that it has some programming commands as a c++ compiler would. Is it possible to load a c++ program on a ti-84 calculator?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ Programming on a TI-84

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ Programming on a TI-84

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

No.

The TI-calculators can only be programming (on the calculator) in TI-BASIC.

If you use a computer, you can write software for it in Z80 Assembly, or, using the TI development software, you can write Flash apps in C.

[ EDIT ]

HERE is the SDK on TI's website.

This post has been edited by MorphiusFaydal: 08 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

View Postzandiago, on 8 Oct, 2007 - 10:56 AM, said:

Good day. I recently purchased a TI-84 calculator and realized that it has some programming commands as a c++ compiler would. Is it possible to load a c++ program on a ti-84 calculator?

Hmm... this is another reason I want to learn pure C now. I've never found anything that would let me mess around with my school-issued TI-83+ in C++. I think there's this one thing though, called the Small Devices C Compiler (SDCC) that provides some C ability on the processors.

The language the calculator uses is TI BASIC, which is really cool for a fun language. I programmed a proportion solver for my friend who finds proportions tedious.... input the number diagonally opposite from the x, then the number horizontal from that, then the last number you know.... and voila, there's x! TI BASIC is really cool to mess around with -- and it's great to impress people and (whatever level of education you're in) to create programs to "remember" things for you (My teachers eventually caught on and now they give me a different TI and take mine when I take tests :( )

But back on subject... the SDCC... i've never tried it, but it might be worth taking a look at. Of course, you'd have to know pure c... i have to try and learn that too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:17 AM

haha Sweet, I always thought the TIs were programmed in assembly and some other languages I've never hard of but this thread makes it all clear. This is sweet, Im gonna go take a look at T-Basic now :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

glad that you picked up something from this thread. Thanks to all who made an input in this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

View Post_net, on 11 Oct, 2007 - 11:17 AM, said:

haha Sweet, I always thought the TIs were programmed in assembly and some other languages I've never hard of but this thread makes it all clear. This is sweet, Im gonna go take a look at T-Basic now :).

The manual that comes with your calculator (you can download a PDF from Texas Instruments if you've lost is) has a GREAT overview of all the commands and show you how to use them.

Another resource is TICalc.org. It's got software in TI-BASIC and Assembly (and I think some Flash apps) for every calculator in TI's catalog. The TI-BASIC programs are interpreted on the calculator, so you can download a BASIC app from the site, and open it up in a text editor to view the source. AFAICT, the only thing that'll look wierd is the '->' (store) key. On the calculator, and in TI's software, it view right, but a basic text editor doesn't recognize that key code. But hey; at least you can view the source, right? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

Yea I did some research over the weekend and also found the manual that came with my calculator which was some help and found some nice tutorials for programming in Ti Calculators.

Also if anyone is looking for the ti manual and don't have it you can find it other on their website or here:
http://education.ti....36;book-eng.pdf
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1