3 Replies - 1159 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2014 - 09:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to start on a simple text based android game.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

I am new here, I have read the rules and tried searching both here and google for what I want and although my answer will be out there I suppose I aren't accustom to the programming lingo yet.

For starters I know basic c++, I have played around with code for calculators and various other mathmatical problem solving code such as finding volume, lateral/surface area, etc...

I want to do something fun and a little more challenging so I decided on a very basic c++ text based game. I can only find code snippets and no actual explanations on how the code wroks behind the game which to me seems full and pointless.

So my question is does anybody have any game suggestions and pointers on what areas in c++ I need to better unerstand to make this work (considering I am doing this as a learning excersize).

The game will run on android and will be programmed in android using cppdroid.

I hope I didn't wase anyones time with useless info!

Thank you in advanced for any replies.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to start on a simple text based android game.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to start on a simple text based android game.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Break down the problem. What's the actions involved in a text based game? Input from the user. Okay.. so fiddle around with how to read in from a console. Next you need to figure out how to display things to the user. Read up on that. You'll also need to make decisions based on the user input.. so look into conditions, loops, etc.

I would suggest working in basic c++ console first.. and when you get the logic down then work on adding what ever complexity cppdroid needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

First download the ADT (Android Developer Tools). This is a full suite for android development, it comes with the eclipse IDE with the android plugins already added.

When developing for android you will primarily be using Java to interface with various components and the SDK. One of the basic examples in the android tutorials will display some text on the screen and allow the user to input text.

https://developer.an...ning/index.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Blindman67  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

I would ask why use an OS dependent language when you could use a Javascript (very similar syntax to c++ but not the same language at all) and HTML with less effort and have something that will run on any device that has a browser, android, apple, PC, mac, and more.

The only reason you would use C++ would be if you needed every bit of power the phone can give and text based game is not one of those.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1