4 Replies - 902 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2014 - 09:09 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language to use? and where to start?

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Hey,

Basically this is the situation.
In my spare time I play Warhammer 40K (a miniature wargame), I prefer campaigns but campaigns bring a lot of not so fun administrative work.
People need to give orders, send those to the game master, who needs to update the map, players need to agree on a scenario, resource management, building… Yea a lot of time people could do something else.
For this reason I want to make a program to do all of that administration for me. If it works I want to implement it into a website so wargamers can use it.

The main things I need from a programming language (as far as I know) is:
being able to connect to a database, without much hassle (to store/retrieve usernames, armies,… )
And I want to implement it into a site, and run it on a single page. With this I mean that when you go from the program’s main menu to army menu for example you don’t change the site’s page (if this makes sense).

I know this will be a large and difficult project, but I have time and I'll mostlikely start with simple stuff (like I've done in the past). Besides I really think this would help me and other players out there.

So I want to know which language(s) are best suited for this project?
Of course any links to tutorials (already found the ones on this site :)) for that language or related to the project are much apreciated. :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language to use? and where to start?

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language to use? and where to start?

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Of course any links to tutorials (already found the ones on this site :)) for that language or related to the project are much appreciated. :D

Have you also looked at the pinned topics?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

First there's the "start here" thread:
http://www.dreaminco...ing-start-here/

Then, since it is web based you'll need client and server side languages. The typical server side languages fall into these:
Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP, Java

Then you will need the standard client side stuff:
HTML and CSS

And you will need a client side language to actually play the game in. Those typically fall under the following:
Javascript (using current -- modern -- browsers and things like WebGL or the Canvas HTML tag)
Actionscript (Flash -- requires flash player)
.NET (Silverlight -- requires silverlight's player)
Unity (Unity 3D -- requires Unity 3D's web player)
Java (Applet -- requires Java installed on the local machine, or to send the JRE over the net)

Then, as you said, you'll need a database of some sort. The common one is MySQL, but there are other choices out there too.

You will be programming the majority of your stuff in the client side language, whichever you choose, and the server side will be used primarily for maintaining a known state of the game, login information, sessions, etc. as well as interacting with the database.

As you already said, this is by no means a small project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 18 June 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Of course any links to tutorials (already found the ones on this site :)/>/>) for that language or related to the project are much appreciated. :D/>/>

Have you also looked at the pinned topics?

No I haven't, yet. But i'll do that next. :)/>

View PostBetaWar, on 18 June 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

First there's the "start here" thread:
http://www.dreaminco...ing-start-here/

Then, since it is web based you'll need client and server side languages. The typical server side languages fall into these:
Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP, Java

Then you will need the standard client side stuff:
HTML and CSS

And you will need a client side language to actually play the game in. Those typically fall under the following:
Javascript (using current -- modern -- browsers and things like WebGL or the Canvas HTML tag)
Actionscript (Flash -- requires flash player)
.NET (Silverlight -- requires silverlight's player)
Unity (Unity 3D -- requires Unity 3D's web player)
Java (Applet -- requires Java installed on the local machine, or to send the JRE over the net)

Then, as you said, you'll need a database of some sort. The common one is MySQL, but there are other choices out there too.

You will be programming the majority of your stuff in the client side language, whichever you choose, and the server side will be used primarily for maintaining a known state of the game, login information, sessions, etc. as well as interacting with the database.

As you already said, this is by no means a small project.

Thanks that helps a lot :)/>
And yeah it realy is something big ://> but then again starting small knowing you're working towards something really helps I think.
I'll have problems along the way (a lot most likely) but I think when/if I ever finish it it'll be worth it :)/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

If you do not have much programming experience you should consider dropping all the fancy stuff. Write a stand alone app, and store the info you need in the code its self or in a simple file system. There are many languages that you could use, but I would advice you towards the higher level languages, like C# or a browser based app with HTML5 and javascript. Don't go for languages like c/c++,java or technologies like databases, server scripting, as you will get buried in learning rather than getting stuff done. And for your own peace of mind stay away from anything that requires plugins and 3rd party stuff just to run.

If it turns out to be something you want to publish you can then consider implementing it as a online app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1