3 Replies - 1273 Views - Last Post: 20 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what math/programming topics should I revisit and prepare for

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hey,

In September I'm going to university, I don't think the name is important but it's a university in Slovakia (if anyone's interested http://www.fiit.stub...ml?page_id=749)

My math education through highschool wasn't that good and I'd like to revisit some topics and learn the ones that I will need during my studies and maybe even later in work. But I have zero idea what topics are the most prevalent in CS.

As far as programming goes I do have "some" knowledge. I do roughly understand how OOP works even though I haven't coded much using OOP principles.
Today my friend introduced me to stuff like data structures etc. Since I learned most of my programming knowledge from various sources such as codecademy, youtube tutorials etc. I don't really know much about this theoretical side of programming and CS i.e data structres, alghorithms (I think I've seen a list of algorithms that every programmer should know on Quora) etc.

Any suggestions on important topics from math and programming are very welcome.

I don't really know much about the math classes on the UNI, pretty much the only thing i know is that they first start programming in C, then Java and my friend has been doing a project in Ruby on Rails.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what math/programming topics should I revisit and prepare for

• جوروترا

• View blog

Re: what math/programming topics should I revisit and prepare for

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

Maybe you could check out the course catalog for the program that you are going to be enrolled in. Certainly they will show you what math subjects/course that you will be going trough. One of the most important math subjects in CS is Discrete Mathematics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have a blog entry on relevant math courses for CS folk. You might want to check it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the posts, I'll be sure to check out that blog post :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1