6 Replies - 2023 Views - Last Post: 24 June 2014 - 09:54 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Cannot delete folder that used to house Solr collection

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hello, all,

I'm trying to programmatically delete not only collections, but the folders that those collections were housed in.

Even if I manually delete a Solr collection via CFAdmin, I open Windows Explorer, nav to the directory where the collections are stored, and canNOT delete the folder that used to house the collections.

I finally managed to get an error message to indicate that "the file is open in Java". Well.. if I use CFAdmin to delete the collection, isn't that supposed to NOT be open in Java?

Is there something that can force a file to be closed in Java? Something that will allow me to delete these folder?

V/r,

^_^

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cannot delete folder that used to house Solr collection

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cannot delete folder that used to house Solr collection

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

View Post_WolfShade_, on 20 June 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I finally managed to get an error message to indicate that "the file is open in Java". Well.. if I use CFAdmin to delete the collection, isn't that supposed to NOT be open in Java?

The issue here is that CF is built atop Java. That is: the status you see in CF is an interpreted status from what it truly running things and that is Java.

In short, while CF-wise it may seem you should be able to delete the folder, Java may still have hooks into it for garbage cleanup, possible restores, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hi, Craig328,

Thanks for your reply. So there is (most likely) no way to, programmatically within CF, force Java to 'let go' of these files? No way to force a delete of the flat files that comprise the collection?

I guess I could do a purge, but a delete of the folder seems so much more thorough. (I tend to be a little OCD about certain things.)

V/r,

^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

I don't know. There might be a way to do it via CF. The question though is why it would matter? The folder is created via an automated process...why do you want to manually delete it? Is it causing some kind of issue?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

View PostCraig328, on 23 June 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

I don't know. There might be a way to do it via CF. The question though is why it would matter? The folder is created via an automated process...why do you want to manually delete it? Is it causing some kind of issue?

Manually deleting it was my first response to the failure of a programmatic deletion. When I discovered that I couldn't _manually_ delete the collections due to Java not 'letting go' of certain files, I came here to ask if anyone knew of any way to force Java to let go.

V/r,

^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I guess what I mean to ask is, why do you want to delete the folder at all?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'm pretty OCD about some things. I feel that completely deleting the collections and the folders, then recreating and re-indexing them, is more thorough than just purging and re-indexing.

V/r,

^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1