• +

22 Replies - 2560 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

#16 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science / Network Admin / Programmer

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

@jon - while it's not consistently math problems, for me I find myself refreshing on jackassie math about once a month and having to apply it for a week or two on some esoteric project that comes across my desk. *shrug* As with most things - mileage may vary.

View PostSt18009, on 24 June 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

[...]
Excuse me but why do any of you care if I like my job or not?
Its a job.
[...]

I care because I am passionate about my work, and find I think of it as a career and not a job. I like to have the expectations that the folk around me are not some dead-on-the-inside hump doing the bare minimum just to tow a line or collect a check. I find the creative work architecting a solution out of the ether (with only the crazed ramblings of some dingus in another department to frame it) fun. Primarily because I've been around long enough to work with people who don't give a shit and they suck to work with. It reflects in the quality of work, the inability to find a solution, and maximum effort shoving things off on others. Frankly, on some days it pisses me off.

Is that how you want to wander through life? Some sort of cubicle ghoul? You are at some crossroads here, right? Trooping up the mountain to get some of that learn'n? Why not do it do doing something you enjoy? You'll be spending 40hours a week (hopefully) for sometime doing this why loath it? You like surfing? Fine - go get some business training and open up a surf shop. You are stoked about the wilderness? Go be a ranger, smoke jumper, park management, or something in the Dept. of Interior's chain.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#17 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostSt18009, on 24 June 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

Excuse me but why do any of you care if I like my job or not?
Its a job.

Why should I spend my spare time trying to help you make yourself miserable? If you're going to hate programming, I don't want to help you get there. I don't want you to have a horrible life, and I don't want you to be making those you work with miserable, and I don't want you to be making teachers miserable when they're trying to get you prepared for the job that's going to make you miserable.
Then add to that the thought that I really don't want more half-assed programmers running around writing bad code that I might have to clean up, and I think it's just a bad deal all around.

It sounds to me like you're mostly interested in programming because you've heard it pays well, but there's plenty of things to do in the world, and many of them pay well - many of them pay much better than programming, in fact. Programming pays pretty well, if you love doing it, but if you don't love it then you've got a huge misery tax to deal with - and it doesn't pay enough to get you past that.

@jon - while it's not consistently math problems, for me I find myself refreshing on jackassie math about once a month and having to apply it for a week or two on some esoteric project that comes across my desk. *shrug* As with most things - mileage may vary.

But you're not in IT, are you? I never saw the helpdesk dealing with graph theory....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

It sounds to me like you're mostly interested in programming because you've heard it pays well, but there's plenty of things to do in the world, and many of them pay well - many of them pay much better than programming, in fact.

True that - union guys are hard up for hvac, welders, and plumbers. A ton of money to be made in the trades fields.

But you're not in IT, are you? I never saw the helpdesk dealing with graph theory....

Yes jon, I am in IT. On the senior side of the experience equation ta'boot. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

I never saw the helpdesk dealing with graph theory....

Clearly they've never had to plot a course to work. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

... or chart out the complexity level of excuses so the calls do not escalate, but are sufficiently complex to satisfy the caller.

Step one - generate framework.
http://bofh.gotblah.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 June 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Yes jon, I am in IT. On the senior side of the experience equation ta'boot. ;)/>

Ah. My bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

I do my job well and keep a positive attitude. I don't lay my work onto others, my boss does that to me and I despise it as much as the next person.

I make sure I do a good job because then I get more hours. More hours = more money.

Despite how shitty things get I stomach it throughout my days.

If you were my co worker, you would never guess that When I leave work, I want of home and cry . Or while I sit there doing work on my lunch break just to leave work at the same time as everyone else and sit there wondering if the mouse cord can support my weight from the pipe overhead.

The extra sh*t I put up with at work because our cheap management keeps cutting workers even though they just made 150 million in the last 3 month CMI period makes me think nothing can be more miserable. I really doubt programming can make a person more miserable then telecom or repairing computers. I think those two things already beat programming to it.

If programming is anything like web design I would gladly do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

It sounds like you have the work ethic. If you go back to college for four years, you'll have to take classes outside of CS (or IT, or whatever degree track you choose). All we're saying is to make the most of it by keeping an open mind for things other than CS/IT that catch your interest. You may find CS/IT unbearable when you get into it in college or the workplace.

If you make the most of college, you can put yourself in a position to make yourself more marketable or change career tracks if need be.

Best of luck with your decision!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +