6 Replies - 1423 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Would this be a good research idea for computer science?

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

I am currently doing some research is cybersecurity as an undergraduate. I love cybersecurity, but I will be going to grad school soon. My dream is to be a computer science professor.

One of my professors has agreed to let me do research next semester and told me I can pick something I'm interested in. Since I want to be a CS educator, I thought I'd do some research into creating a successful approach to computer science education. I thought I could try out different techniques with freshman in entry-level CS classes as well as lower-level CS majors. We could target minorites as well. I just feel like people shy away from CS too much and don't see how much fun it can be.

I'd like to do a research project into finding a successful way to get people passionate about the field. Is this a legitimate idea or a flop? Let me know your thoughts!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Would this be a good research idea for computer science?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Would this be a good research idea for computer science?

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Is this a legitimate idea or a flop? Let me know your thoughts!

Depends - what is the requirements for the paper/research?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

modi123_1, there really are no set-in-stone requirements at this point. We would probably collaborate on a paper and try to get it published. We also would like to do some presentations at a few conferences if we can.

I haven't exactly thought about what I'd do. I'm still in the planning stage. This is just something I'd be really passionate about and think would be good for other kids who maybe struggle in CS classes or don't really understand the value of CS studies.

Also, I read an article just today that shows how computer science is in decline. [http://chronicle.com/blogs/data/2014/06/23/is-there-a-crisis-in-computer-science-education/].
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Also, I read an article just today that shows how computer science is in decline.

That article doesn't conclude that computer science is in decline, it talks about possible reasons for fluctuations in the number of CS degrees awarded in the US.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

Education research is really different than formal CS research. You might want to look at existing works to get a better feel for things. The question becomes how to measure understanding. CS classes are small, so you won't necessarily get a large enough distribution to assume normality. And grades don't always coordinate to understanding (ie., someone with a B- may score higher on tests than everyone else, but slacks on homework).

You might look at some research in math education to get a better feel for how you should think about it.

Though if you're thinking grad school, I'd shoot for the cybersecurity route unless you choose to go an Engineering Education route. The latter is typically not in a CS program, just so you know.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thank you very much!

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 23 June 2014 - 03:02 PM
Reason for edit:: No need to quote the person above you

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 23 June 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

Also, I read an article just today that shows how computer science is in decline.

That article doesn't conclude that computer science is in decline, it talks about possible reasons for fluctuations in the number of CS degrees awarded in the US.

Whoops! Wrong article. I was looking at that one from a newsletter I had just gotten. I was referring to this article:

http://blogs.compute...isual-trendline

Not necessarily a decline in computer science itself but a decline as far as females are concerned. However, I think more women are starting to get involved with CS. All I know is that at my school, there are many negative ideas about CS as a degree. People tend to view the field negatively which in turn sets them up for failure when they take an entry-level class. They expect the field to be dull and hard so wish-fulfillment happens.

Obviously, I need to think more about this research. Thanks for the reply!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1