4 Replies - 971 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Moving into project management

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

It's something I've been looking at recently, moving out of Software Engineering into a technical project management role. It's not that I don't enjoy the Engineering side of my role, I just can't help but feel that my skills aren't being put to the best use.

So, I'm after information about moving from Software Engineering into Project management, I can't make an internal move within this company so I'd be applying for maybe a junior project management role elsewhere.

Any advice?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Moving into project management

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Moving into project management

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

Because the question & topic is employment based, it will get better exposure under the Corner Cubicle.

** Moved **
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

What kind of advice are you after? Depending on the company depends on what a project managers role is. What part do you find more appealing over the engineering side? Are you currently in a team lead position? Do you know the cornerstones of being a project manager?

What skills do you have that are being under utilized that a different position would capitalize on?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 24 June 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

What part do you find more appealing over the engineering side? Are you currently in a team lead position? Do you know the cornerstones of being a project manager?

I'm not in a team lead position but I received training on the basics of project management in my last job and I've worked closely with project managers in most of my roles.

View Postastonecipher, on 24 June 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

What skills do you have that are being under utilized that a different position would capitalize on?

I've always gone down a technical path in my career so far but I can't shake the feeling that they aren't my greatest strength.

In terms of Engineering I'm not your typical Engineer, I don't really passionate about technology, I'm in this role because I love solving problems, the technology and programming are just my tools to do so.

I'm quite outgoing, I love going around the office talking to people, finding out what they're doing and seeing if there's anything I can do to help or how our work interacts or could work together.

The one thing I really like is seeing successful projects and the planning and metrics side of the deliveries, I love software quality and finding and testing tools, processes and techniques to improve progress and quality.

My MBTI type is INFJ and my Belbin types are Plant/Shaper/Resource Investigator, I'm not designed for straight technical roles, I feel my skills are a lot more about problem solving, connecting with people, leading and encouraging progress, they're the roles I fall into when I'm not held back by technical tasks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

Well, if you know what you want one step might be to earn your comp Tia project+ cert. It's a step in the right direction.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1