6 Replies - 704 Views - Last Post: 24 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Analytics - potentially useful for an aspiring developer?

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hi all,

Just hoping for some advice. Today I was offered a 12 week internship before I return to University in October to finish my degree. My aim is to become a developer (my degree is in software engineering) however this internship is concerned with web analytics, using Google Analytics. My role will be (first and foremost) to learn what analytics actually entails..Then feed back to (and hopefully work with) the developers to make changes to the website based on the data.

The company is a relatively new (18 months) tech startup in London with only 7 people in the office. My initial thoughts are that this is good experience (coming from a corporate background with no tech experience). Of course, a pure development internship would have been better but undergraduate beggars can't be choosers!

Any advice or thoughts? Could this be beneficial to someone hoping to go into development?

This post has been edited by conure: 24 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Analytics - potentially useful for an aspiring developer?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Analytics - potentially useful for an aspiring developer?

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

I am a little confused - in what way would it not beneficial? You are developing stuff.. in a business.. soooooo yeah!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 June 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

I am a little confused - in what way would it not beneficial? You are developing stuff.. in a business.. soooooo yeah!

There's not really any development I think - though it was hinted at that there might be after a while (If I do a good job). I believe Software Analytics belongs in the realm of marketing rather than real development but I'm unsure as I haven't started yet. From what I understand, analytics is literally just inserting a bit of javascript then interpreting the stats.

Maybe I'm over thinking things...And over worrying. I do that a lot.

This post has been edited by conure: 24 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Again.. you are working in a web dev company for twelve weeks. Reading up on google analytics is what - at worst a half day of research? Certainly you'll find yourself doing something else 99% of the time let alone seeing how a business office operates, meetings go, planning, and what everyone wants for coffee choices (and in which mug).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 June 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

Again.. you are working in a web dev company for twelve weeks. Reading up on google analytics is what - at worst a half day of research? Certainly you'll find yourself doing something else 99% of the time let alone seeing how a business office operates, meetings go, planning, and what everyone wants for coffee choices (and in which mug).

Yeah you're right, thanks :)

Nervous about actually doing technical work in a professional environment. Everyone's going to find out I'm a fraud that can only get by on purely academic programming :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

Haha, don't worry about having only really done academic programming to this point. Most people start there. The trick is to know the stuff you know and be able to apply it to other things. As long as you can do that and search you will probably be alright for an internship. Being able to program algorithms and other things from the ground up without needing your hand held with also be a nice addition, and likely lead to a better overall experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Try to wear thick, non-flammable, clothing. The required brutal fraud beating, with bats, can be mitigated (a bit) with thick clothes. I mean sure it could be a different from one cracked (and three bruised) ribs, or five broken ones. Also the flammability factor really helps when they douse you in oil (or tar) and some schmuck happens to be smoking too close to you.

For your sake just run.. don't try and fight back. That and try to protect your face with your arms.. let your thick clothes take some of the torso beating.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1