9 Replies - 1381 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Who has worked with/written software that runs in automobiles?

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

What I'm looking for is someone with practical experience writing/deploying software that runs in an automobile (meaning they or someone they know did/does this kind of thing). I have no idea what the obstacles are to doing such a thing and while I am indeed Googling about it, that's a one way exchange. What I'd like to do is bounce questions off folks who have actually done this and wouldn't mind informing an absolute novice as to concerns, necessities, and so on.

The reason I ask is that during a conversation I had this past weekend on a tangent subject, I had an idea that could be truly helpful and welcome to the automotive industry and everyday drivers. I doubt I'm the first one to have the idea but it's not a feature offered on any vehicle I'm aware of and yet there is a distinct market segment that would find it exceptionally desirable if it was available or if it could be added via some form of third party software add-on to their existing vehicle.

Any actual experience or knowledge about the subject field in general would be most welcome. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Who has worked with/written software that runs in automobiles?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Who has worked with/written software that runs in automobiles?

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

I looked into MS's automotive a few years back, but never had a testbed to tweak around.

Are you talking about generic addons:

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B00D1GJMUE

or more of tinkering with the engine control unit?

Oblig F&F pseudo image.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

The idea I have is something that would run on the onboard system (as opposed to plugging something into the car's access port and running it on the external device). Nothing to do with messing with engine controls and such. The systems I'd like to tie together would be the voice activated system, engine status, the environmental controls, the anti-theft controls and, if it's available cellphone/OnStar access.

So, something the interested owner would want to be running resident in the onboard system whose active aspect functions once certain conditions are met.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, sorry - not in my wheel house nor do I know anyone off hand I could refer you to.

Though.. with "environmental controls, anti-theft, and OnStar access" I do think you can totally resurrect the Viper hologram project, and have them GPS guided snakes of death. Of have the car open a port to release chip implanted snakes to protect the car. Just say'n.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3p06XHHRvpk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 depricated  Icon User is online

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

I managed to snag one of those devices that connects to the console and monitors your speed, braking, acceleration, etc. Currently working on determining how I can read/write to it...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 creativecoding  Icon User is online

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

I totally want to create some OBD diagnostic tracking software. Maybe an digital gauge display? I would not mess with stuff like the ECU however... I trust the engineers getting paid to do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

Most of what I wanna do is read. Any actions the software takes will be to non-engine stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

There is still a worry about effecting the engine stuff. The control systems all talk to each other. A coworker helped me jump my car last year. The first time he plugged it in he had it wrong. I started having odd behavior from the car a couple of months later. Things not running when they were supposed to or turning off for no reason, including the engine. It ended up that the lights controller had been fried and the bios was bad. That controller would misinterpret signals and send bad signals back though the bus. These signals would sometimes get interpreted by the other controllers to do something. The car repairman had to wipe the memory and re-install the factory image of six of them to get them talking to each other correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

@craig - you may find this relevant.

SAN FRANCISCO and TOKYO (AUTOMOTIVE LINUX SUMMIT), June 30, 2014 Automotive Grade Linux (AGL), a collaborative open source project developing a common, Linux-based software stack for the connected car, today announced that its first open source software release is available for download, bringing the industry one step closer to achieving a standard Linux-based software platform for the connected car.
[...]

https://automotive.l...org/recent-news
https://gerrit.autom...admin/projects/
http://automotive.li...ive-grade-linux
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

That does look interesting. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1