Is C++ not being Appreciated Anymore in the Job Market?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 13314 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is C++ not being Appreciated Anymore in the Job Market?

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hello,

I was perusing through some job listings in Virginia and I noticed that for the programmer job listings, the required languages were the likes of ASP.NET, C#, and the like but none of them had C++ as a requirement (or at least I missed it). What is wrong with C++? I know it's a language that some students are being taught first (it was my first programming language). Could I still get a job programming if I only know C++ regardless of language requirements?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is C++ not being Appreciated Anymore in the Job Market?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is C++ not being Appreciated Anymore in the Job Market?

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Could I still get a job programming if I only know C++ regardless of language requirements?

Depends.. are you open to lying about your experience in the specific languages the posting would have? I mean if the job asks for F# and you shrug it off because you know C++ you are probably going to have a bad time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 June 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Could I still get a job programming if I only know C++ regardless of language requirements?

Depends.. are you open to lying about your experience in the specific languages the posting would have? I mean if the job asks for F# and you shrug it off because you know C++ you are probably going to have a bad time.
Oh no, I wouldn't get away with lying about languages. Are there any universal positions that require C++ or does it depend on the company? Seems like I learned C++ for nothing with the only benefit being learning how to program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Are there any universal positions that require C++ or does it depend on the company?

A few less than there used to be, but plenty to be found.
http://www.dice.com/...lts/us/c++?p=wk

Seems like I learned C++ for nothing with the only benefit being learning how to program.

That would hardly constitute "for nothing". You should be now armed to take those concepts and apply them to other languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

the market is a rather important unknown in this question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Virginia deals a lot with .NET. Richmond, in particular, is a .NET town. Java EE and mobile technologies are also popular. With Virginia, you have three major segments: Richmond, Northern Virginia, and Tidewater. Richmond services a lot of big, enterprise grade contracts. Tidewater is big in terms of the navy. With Northern Virginia, you get into a lot of high-end government contracts. Many of these deal with enterprise type applications. C++ really isn't employed for enterprise grade technologies. You see Java EE and .NET come into play for those. With Tidewater, you might use C++ for some Navy applications. I'm not really familiar with that niche though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well, no. Of course not. Why would you think that C++ would be sufficient if the requirement was JAVA, or C#? Would French be good enough if the requirement was Russian?

Seems like I learned C++ for nothing with the only benefit being learning how to program.

If you think learning C++ is the same as learning how to program that you were mislead by you instructor. C++ is just one language, it doesn't mean you were taught anything about software design and architecture, or OOP, or good GUI design, or separation of GUI from logic, or WCF or database interaction both of which are in HIGH demand for modern applications.

I just have to ask:
  • How long ago did you take C++?
  • Why did you pick C++? In other words, when you selected the type of programs you wanted to specialize in (or at least the platform you wanted to work with) was C++ the predominant language at that time?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

It depends on the application.

C is used heavily in controls automation
Software.

C++/C# is used heavily in the games industry.

For web applications .net or java
Based technologies are going to be
At the forefront.

Writing front ends for Excel for banks
Visual basic.

So it depends on what you want to do.

What is it you want to do ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 01 July 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

Well, no. Of course not. Why would you think that C++ would be sufficient if the requirement was JAVA, or C#? Would French be good enough if the requirement was Russian?

I was thinking would the programming language matter that much if whatever I need to do in C# or Java, I could do in C++?

If you think learning C++ is the same as learning how to program that you were mislead by you instructor. C++ is just one language, it doesn't mean you were taught anything about software design and architecture, or OOP, or good GUI design, or separation of GUI from logic, or WCF or database interaction both of which are in HIGH demand for modern applications.

I just have to ask:
  • How long ago did you take C++?
  • Why did you pick C++? In other words, when you selected the type of programs you wanted to specialize in (or at least the platform you wanted to work with) was C++ the predominant language at that time?

I took my first intro to programming class back in the Fall of 2012. I didn't "pick" C++ persay. C++ was the language that the Computer Science Department at my University decided to teach us.

And I actually did learn software design and architecture, OOP, and good GUI design. Albeit, all of those topics were taught in different courses (with the GUI design actually being an IT class). WCF stands for Windows Communication Foundation and is a type of GUI Framework? Well the IT class I took we did GUI Programming with Visual Studio using WinForms. We did learn WinForms in C++/CLI though.

View Postsnoopy11, on 01 July 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

It depends on the application.

C is used heavily in controls automation
Software.

C++/C# is used heavily in the games industry.

For web applications .net or java
Based technologies are going to be
At the forefront.

Writing front ends for Excel for banks
Visual basic.

So it depends on what you want to do.

What is it you want to do ?
Well I am open to different areas as long as I get to work with the programming language that I spent almost 2 years learning. I wouldn't mind designing GUIs actually. I only took a class working with GUIs one time but recently I'm starting to design GUIs in my Operating Systems class as part of my programs so I'd like to work with that.

Ideally, I'd like to work where I receive a problem statement and then have to write/design a program in C++ to solve it...pretty much what I've been doing in school the past 2 years. Oh and I'll most likely be looking for a job in Richmond, VA if that matters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

Well, you've searched the job market and you can't find any good C++ jobs around Richmond, VA. So your options are to move or to learn another language. If you know C++ well, you can transition to other languages, it should not be that hard.

Also, if you get hired for a Java job and start coding in C++, you're not going to last long.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

I was thinking would the programming language matter that much if whatever I need to do in C# or Java, I could do in C++?

Yes it would matter. Environment, platform, available needs, etc. Not to mention if you are rolling around with only a hammer all the problems start to look like a nail.

Well I am open to different areas as long as I get to work with the programming language that I spent almost 2 years learning.

Again - the idea is not to spend two years learning a language, but, more importantly, you spent two years learning programming concepts, structures, flow, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

POPULAR

View Postlamentofking, on 01 July 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

I'm going to stop you right there and say this.

You're going to be working for someone else. You sound as if you don't have any job experience either. You're NOT going to be the lead developer on these projects. The lead is going to probably make the decisions on which language is used, what frameworks if any, and all that stuff.

You'll be the grunt working.

So you'll need to know the language.

Learn more languages!

If you ask any one of us one here with more than a couple years job experience (not total experience, actual on the job experience). We will all probably say we are proficient/fluent in at least, AT LEAST, 2 or 3 languages. And that we can handle ourselves, and get caught up to speed rather quickly, in far far more than that. By this I mean, I once taught myself a programming language during the job interview, because I didn't know what language they were expecting when going for said interview (I showed up on a lark because my friend worked there in a different department). The fact I was able to teach myself the language in the duration of the interview was sign enough to them to hire me.

Knowing a programming language is like knowing one tool in your workshop. C++ is one of the most versatile tool in the workshop. Problem with C++ is it also requires a LOT of work to use it. People use languages like C# and Java because they don't have to worry about a lot of things and can whip up an application in a couple hours that would require a couple days in C++.

Learn more tools, it'll make you more valuable in the market.

If you want to know only ONE tool and make a living. Well... I won't lie. You could learn just C#, or just Java, or even just HTML5/javascript, and you could get a great paying job. But you're stunting your options to grow a change jobs.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 01 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Well it looks like there isn't a way around it, I'm going to have to learn a second language....question is which language is the most similar to C++? I guess I'd be looking for syntax similarities as that would probably make it easier to grasp. I heard it was Java. Not sure though. And I suppose me knowing C++/CLI is no good either right? I know I said I only know C++ but I didn't count C++/CLI as different since it could use C++ but I guess they are different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

View Postlamentofking, on 30 June 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I was perusing through some job listings in Virginia and I noticed that for the programmer job listings, the required languages were the likes of ASP.NET, C#, and the like

Answer. Don't get caught in the same situation again, learn the language that has jobs in your area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostXaos, on 02 July 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

View Postlamentofking, on 30 June 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I was perusing through some job listings in Virginia and I noticed that for the programmer job listings, the required languages were the likes of ASP.NET, C#, and the like

Answer. Don't get caught in the same situation again, learn the language that has jobs in your area.
Almost every major language (except C++) has jobs in my area so I was just wondering which would be similar. If I had to narrow it down to the one's I've seen the most, it would be C#, Java, and .NET
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +