5 Replies - 344 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need direction for building forum

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have started an online business service and I coded my website design from scratch using HTML5, CSS3, JS and JQuery. It is not mobile optimized but I will be doing so shortly. I am in the process of setting up a forum and login/register features for my website. My questions are as follows:

1. I looked online for open source forum softwares and found PHPBB to be the most popular. I would like one that is in JAVA as it is a useful language to become proficient in (My backup is to find a job as a web/software developer in case my business doesn't work out. Hence, I am very interested in learning and adding new skills to my list).

I also want my forum to be mobile optimized like the rest of my website.

Any useful suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need direction for building forum

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need direction for building forum

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

I would like one that is in JAVA as it is a useful language to become proficient in

So if you want to be a web developer, Java is probably the wrong language to learn. Sure, it's used for some web stuff, but other languages are more common. If you want to learn Java, that's great. Going into the inner-workings of someone else's code to learn a brand new language isn't a good idea.

If you're developing a product, use the highest quality tool, weighed against cost and support. Choosing a piece of software based on the language is a bad idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

I am quite proficient in Java. I am clueless regarding which language to use for building the forum.
I need to use an open source software for forums that can also be mobile optimized in the future.

Any suggestions as to which one will be the best fit?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

A forum as in a website's forum? I would start with the basics. HTML, CSS, a database like MYSQL, and some sort of server side language like PHP, python, perl, ruby, ASP, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

If you want a forum written in Java then you should be to find some out there, although you'll need to do the research to figure out if any are mobile-friendly.

https://www.google.c...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

To create a forum you need a database and a server side programming/scripting language, as well as HTML and CSS with optional Javascript/JQuery/other. The most popular "team" of server side stuff is PHP and MySQL. Also there is ASP and others such as Modi123_1 mentioned. The majority of forums are written in PHP and MySQL. You would be extremely hard-pressed to find a forum software that runs on Java, and even more hard-pressed to find a web hosting provider that allows Java to be installed on a shared hosting plan, which is the only affordable choice for most people.

Long story short, your best bet is to learn PHP and MySQL, but I am biased since I don't have experience with Ruby, Python, Perl, and only a very tiny bit of ASP.
If you want to run ASP you will need a Windows server. Be sure to pick Windows when you choose your web hosting plan if you want to go with ASP
If you want to run PHP you will probably need a Linux server (although some Windows hosting plans might support PHP - again I'm not sure)
Linux hosting plans are by far the most prevalent.

You will not want to create your own forum. That would be a colossal undertaking.

GoDaddy is my hosting provider, and they offer one-click installs for the following forum software's under my legacy plan

• PHPBB
  • Simple Machines Forum
  • Vanilla Forums
  • YAF (Yet Another Forum)

There are also paid forum softwares such as VBulletin

I have personally used PHPBB, and found that the Administration control panel was quite full featured. I have read that the other forums are not quite as full featured.

As for mobile, that's 100% CSS. Doesn't matter what PHP, MySQL or HTML does, it is completely CSS that makes a site "mobile friendly". You can use media queries or an entirely separate CSS file for mobile, but keep in mind that if you are trying to implement a mobile style sheet on a freeware forum, you will need to have a decent understanding of how PHP and MySQL works in order to target the output PHP and MySQL generates for the client in order to target those elements in your CSS rules effectively.

This post has been edited by AGENT_P6: 24 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1