12 Replies - 2152 Views - Last Post: 13 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

freelancing

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

im thinking of giving it a try, ive never tried this. Ive had some programming interviews but was lacking experince, and i have no degree. But im just looking for some tips if somebody has done this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: freelancing

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: freelancing

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Have you tried the freelancing section?

http://www.dreaminco...02-freelancing/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

thanks, did not see that :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

In the spoiler below, see FAQ # 48 and higher.

But the short version from me is "If you don't have enough experience at being *just* the coder, then why do you think you can be the coder, architect, sales person, accountant, and your own web designer?"

I don't mean for that to dash your dreams, just doing a reality check. If you have good reason then you might succeed. But do you have enough in the bank so you can afford to pay yourself $4/hour until your coding speed becomes really fast?

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Feb 2014
Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 04 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 03 July 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

See FAQ # 48 and above.

But the short version from me is "If you don't have enough experience at being *just* the coder, then why do you think you can be the coder, architect, sales person, accountant, and your own web designer?"

I don't mean for that to dash your dreams, just doing a reality check. If you have good reason then you might succeed. But do you have enough in the bank so you can afford to pay yourself $4/hour until your coding speed becomes really fast?

Yah i understand this, But you cannot fail until you try right? My bills are almost noexistent so moneywise im good. But ive been searching for work for a while, and never thought of freelancing(this is a hail mary(so to speak)). I eat mostly a boul of rice now anyway without anything with that. coder i can be even though i write slow, but i will just have to take out more time and its not like i got anything els to do. What i meant with experince is that i dont have much to show as for work, its mostly bits and pieces of code. ive created UIs but no real context to them. Ive looked around at a freelanceing site, and some of the projects i know i can do. So far ive put down 2 bids. sales person i am not by a long shot, but my ideas have always been solid and i hope i can present them in such a way it sparks an intrest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

As a freelancer, you're not trying to sell people on your ideas, you're trying to sell them on you, personally and professionally. You're taking their ideas and putting them into code. You sound like you've got a good start, bidding on projects you know you can do. If your goal is to do freelancing stuff to get experience for a permanent programming job, make sure you're also doing code on your own time and uploading that to a Github or something similiar, or just making (and completing) your own projects you would be able to show off. But good start thus far.

Also, just personal advice, I'd continue looking for some kind of job until you get the necessary coding experience to move into a permanent dev job (if you want). It's easier to get hired if you're employed somewhere and it'll bring $ to you. 'A bowl of rice' sounds nice but it adds up when you don't eat it and you're taking $25 for a project that takes 3 hours.

This post has been edited by Xaos: 03 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

thanks, but if you got ideas as how to make the application more userfriendly and stuff like that. Do clients run from that or is it a good thing?
Yah im still applying for every toilet cleaning job i can find
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

I mean, feel free to tell the client if you have any suggestions, but don't expect more money if you suggest something that requires more work. It probably won't happen and the client will still probably want that feature added. So it's a risk if it requires more work to even bring it up. And if it doesn't require more work but is a good feature, the client probably won't even want it. So, caught between a rock and a hard place because clients suck.

Alternatively, you could always re-create the software yourself with your improvements and run the other guy out of business, but "that's not nice." (It could be illegal depending on your agreement, so check first if you think of doing something like that)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

thanks, but if you got ideas as how to make the application more userfriendly and stuff like that.

As in you download an app, don't like some structure of it, and approach to the company to have them pay you to fix it? That's not a good way to make business relationships.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

As someone that freelancers, you are over simplifying what happens. As tlhIn`toq stated, there is far more that is handled for you when employed by a company that junior developers seldom realize. The only thing I tend to shy from is UX and design, I work with 2 designers, that charge me a premium, for that. Pay is sometimes sketchy. Short projects, a week or 2, I get paid on satisfaction, bigger projects I take a retainer then get monthly installments based on deliverables.

How much experience do you have? What's the most complicated system you have developed? Can you juggle multiple contracts at once? Can you prove I should hire you?

The most concurrent contracts I have had is 3. Just being able to separate what is in what program becomes a feat when you are doing it all. Project management software comes in to play, but is only as good as your record keeping.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 04 July 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

As someone that freelancers, you are over simplifying what happens. As tlhIn`toq stated, there is far more that is handled for you when employed by a company that junior developers seldom realize. The only thing I tend to shy from is UX and design, I work with 2 designers, that charge me a premium, for that. Pay is sometimes sketchy. Short projects, a week or 2, I get paid on satisfaction, bigger projects I take a retainer then get monthly installments based on deliverables.

How much experience do you have? What's the most complicated system you have developed? Can you juggle multiple contracts at once? Can you prove I should hire you?

The most concurrent contracts I have had is 3. Just being able to separate what is in what program becomes a feat when you are doing it all. Project management software comes in to play, but is only as good as your record keeping.

if i could display where i am with a number it would be 0. but i understand what youre saying. thanks for the truth, i like to learn by doing and failing alot. i doubt anything will happen within a month or anything close to that, just starting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

Perhaps, instead of "doing and and failing alot" with other folk's projects and business needs why not flip through the project lists, here, and work on those. Maybe nudge that '0' to something a little more than zero so you can gird your loins for projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

You need to have more programming experience first. Study more and apply it. When you start applying for programming jobs, show your work portfolio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1