2 Replies - 529 Views - Last Post: 03 July 2014 - 09:33 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting Started Questions

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I am a complete noob. I've been trying to teach myself C++ on and off for a year now, but I haven't gotten very far. I haven't quite found the time for it.

I want to learn 3D game programming. I'd be happy to know how to program a game of pong without a tutorial. Problem is, I don't know where to start.

What libraries should I use for this? Opengl, SDL, Allegro? Are there any good, thorough tutorials I can use? Any books I should read?

How did you guys start out? Am I being too ambitious, starting off with C++? Should I try Python or Java instead? I kinda don't want to, but if I have to I will.

Thanks,
- Kekker

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting Started Questions

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting Started Questions

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Did you read the pinned threads? Quite a bit of that is covered there.

The next question is do you feel like you need to build a game engine from scratch, or do you want to just make a game? If the latter then get a decently popular engine like Unity or Unreal and go nuts there. If you feel the need to reinvent the wheel then you need to start by learning C++ and not learning videogame programmin with c++. Understand programming before applying it to a nuanced area like games.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Getting Started Questions

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Attached Image

copied a book to do this in opengl and it was very complicated for me. but yah opengl is the same for any language you use. so learn the language first and then keep going.
the book is called "OpenGL ES 2 for Android A Quick - Start Guide"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1