6 Replies - 449 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Taking 3 math classes next semester...

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

This coming semester I've been thinking about taking 3 math classes Discrete Math, Linear Algebra and upper division Statistics, as well as 2 programming classes.the reason why I want to do this is so that I graduate on time, however I am not sure if I can handle it or not since I have never taken more than 1 math class at a time. Should I take a chance or graduate 1 semester later?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Taking 3 math classes next semester...

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Taking 3 math classes next semester...

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

Should I take a chance or graduate 1 semester later?

That is highly up to you. I doubt anyone will be able to make an accurate call on what you are able to handle for multiple vectors of STEM classes bearing down on you in one semester. Balance that against any pressing need to not having another semester of school.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Have you done well in math or not? It sounds like you're intimidated by math? With some more information on the programming classes, as well as a bit of commentary on your math aptitude, I can offer some insights on what to expect. However, as with many things, your success is a function of your work ethic, aptitude, organization skills, and all that jazz.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 08 July 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Have you done well in math or not? It sounds like you're intimidated by math? With some more information on the programming classes, as well as a bit of commentary on your math aptitude, I can offer some insights on what to expect. However, as with many things, your success is a function of your work ethic, aptitude, organization skills, and all that jazz.

Well in Calc 1 and 2 I got a C and in Calc 3 I got a B. I've taken lower division stats and got a B in it. However I am retaking linear algebra because I got a D in it, since I did not study as much as I should have. Overall I like math but I'm a bit lazy in general. As for my two programming course it's Advance Data structures and C/Hardware stuff (I forgot the exact name). I've gotten a head start on learning C and I'm kinda looking at some discre math tutorials too.
Although I want to graduate ASAP I still want to have a decent gpa (I'm barely above a 3.0)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

If that is your given track record then one would figure a leopard doesn't change its spots over night so a conservative effort may make more sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 July 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

If that is your given track record then one would figure a leopard doesn't change its spots over night so a conservative effort may make more sense.

Good point... :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

The C/Hardware course will be a tough course. It's a lot of low-level stuff, such as disassembling files, assembly language programming, buffer overflows, web servers, kernels, logic and combinatorial circuits, etc. Taking it and a second semester data structures course is intense. Both are project intensive. You won't be able to procrastinate and pass the classes.

Discrete Math might be slanted to complement either the data structures class (graph theory, proofs, combinatorics), or the C/Hardware class (logic circuits). It might slant towards neither.

You know what Linear Algebra is like.

Upper division stats will be more intense and utilize more calculus. It's doable, but it's not something I found easy or enjoyed (save for discrete probability).

I tend to agree with Modi. I think if you load up, take these classes seriously, and take them like you're trying to get your GPA to jump, then you'll have very little in the way of a life. Take it from someone who has been there.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1