3 Replies - 596 Views - Last Post: 10 July 2014 - 04:14 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to start game programming , which language and library to use?

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

I have programming knowledge in C++ and Java and i can learn C# in few days. I also have some basic knowledge of pyton. I'm very confused not sure where to start. Once i started learning SDL and then Directx. Then from somewhere i heard that c++ is not for beginner game programmers, so i thought of learnign C# and XNA. But i heard that XNA is already dead and microsoft is not gonna use it on their products. Then i thought of learning Unity, but i think it is a lot of Drag and drop and i'm not sure even it will run on my computer or not(i have a very old pc with pentium4 and 2gb ram). I can also learn pygames. Please someone give me advice what should i really choose to do. I'm really confused what to do, please suggest me a good path, and i really wanna be a serious game programmer. Thank you very much .

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to start game programming , which language and library to use?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to start game programming , which language and library to use?

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Have you read the pinned threads? I would advocate starting there.

Also - figure out if you want to make games, or bog yourself down in engine building. I would advocate the former over the latter in an early stage. Take an existing engine like Unity or Unreal.. get used to how it works, gave movements, etc, and then dive into rebuilding everything from the ground up with directx or opengl-ish sort of things. When you have no clue on where to go smooth out the process and see what it takes for end to end development (taking an idea and actually getting the user input, screen output, etc to work) with an existing engine. Get familiar with the terminology and then dive into the crazed world of building your own engine, worrying about FPS complex timing, objects, etc.

https://wiki.ubuntu....areRequirements
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think modi123_1 is steering you in the right direction. There are a lot of paths you can take. Getting into a game engine for awhile as a beginner will teach you a lot about what it is you're trying to accomplish. You'll learn about sprites, models, transformations, shaders and so on and so forth.

If you don't already have that experience from somewhere else, it's really invaluable. I got some of that experience from other environments such as the Never Winter Nights level editor that let you do scripting within the level editor and such. And I worked in Second Life building art assets for over a year.

Having an easy environment where you can see what typically goes into a game is a very valuable learning experience no matter what direction you choose to pursue in the end.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

Unity is not just drag and drop :gunsmilie: . With basic knowledge you can create some cool games. Don't think that XNA is dead librairy can't died. But yes there's just a little bit of tutorial for XNA.

Choose Unity or UDK or if you have the money CryEngine it's the best way I think :gun_bandana:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1