23 Replies - 2327 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need advice from soneone who has done Engineering / CS Bsc

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I need to know something,

How would you rate these 5 exam papers?
To what year in a Bsc Degree program?

Would you say its an advanced and difficult paper?

http://u.tt/librarie...July%202013.pdf

http://u.tt/librarie...ecember2013.pdf

http://u.tt/librarie...%202012.pdf.pdf

http://u.tt/librarie...lternate%20.pdf

This post has been edited by john5220: 08 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Need advice from soneone who has done Engineering / CS Bsc

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need advice from soneone who has done Engineering / CS Bsc

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

This link is somewhat old and a number of courses not related to computer engineering were replaced with higher level like say electronics II etc

http://u.tt/index.ph...=1&page_key=560

But how would you guys compare it still to a computer engineering degree offered at a US state university?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Moving to Student Campus.

Most of the tests are junior/senior level, it looks to me. The OOP one is very much freshman level.

What's your goal in asking this question? It seems to me if you know the course from the school, you can look it up and see where it falls on the degree program check sheet. Are you trying to get a better feel for a Computer Engineering program? If so, why not actually look at programs rather than tests?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 08 July 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

Moving to Student Campus.

Most of the tests are junior/senior level, it looks to me. The OOP one is very much freshman level.

What's your goal in asking this question? It seems to me if you know the course from the school, you can look it up and see where it falls on the degree program check sheet. Are you trying to get a better feel for a Computer Engineering program? If so, why not actually look at programs rather than tests?

Hey thanks

I was accepted into this program recently, its not a internationally accredited University well actually some of its courses are, like its Chemical and Process Engineering degrees aswell as its petroleum engineering degree. But where its Electrical/Mechanical and Computer Engineering is concerned it has no international accreditation. They do have an advantage being a true state university they have lots of contacts and networks with Job placements for students locally over University of the West Indies which is a lot more recognized internationally. (UWI)

UWI does not offer part time classes in Engineering so its a no go for me.

I just wanted to have an idea how the UTT courses would be classed, because I know they are seeking accreditation from the United Kingdom. But a friend told me their exams are not difficult enough for them to get the accreditation but I have 4 years before I finish my Bsc in Comp engineering at UTT so I am hoping by the time I am done things would change.

I just wanted to see how these exams compare to Universities in the US and Canada. The ones I posted are like second year of the Bsc Program at UTT

I feel quite happy I was accepted into this university it gives me the chance to start over and for some reason it has boosted my drive to learn and study like 800 times than it was previous for some reason. And plus I will be funded all free since its a state university and I am a citizen of Trinidad.

I guess I am looking for some sort of comfort or justification that says hey this is a pretty decent course and will require quite a lot of sacrifice to really push yourself. I guess it will be since the last time I did any kind of high school maths was a decade ago. But I really love being able to spend tons of time on MIT channel on youtube for computer science and electrical engineering and reading up about C++ programming.

Before I would have to force myself to do it for some reason now I automatically feel Joy and excitement doing it its like I turned from a game addict into a studying addict for some reason. Something about being given a second chance in life with this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

did only one year of electronics in university and damn i miss it looking at this :(. looks cool tho its all about complex numbers that are long and annoying when working with AC currents but a good calculator solves this problem. didnt seem to go much into coils but its easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

View Postben255, on 09 July 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

did only one year of electronics in university and damn i miss it looking at this :(/>/>. looks cool tho its all about complex numbers that are long and annoying when working with AC currents but a good calculator solves this problem. didnt seem to go much into coils but its easier.

hey man this is nice to know, this is what I got accepted into doing, I guess being human I am looking for some justification and comfort knowing that this isn't a crappy easy degree.

I was just wondering if it could rank with some US and Canadian universities. I dunno its just an exciting time for me and I just want to do some research in this, I am 28 years old and will be 29 in november so my options are quite limited in life and this is the only place that offers Engineering part time so hoping these exam papers looks decent for what it is being second year of a full time bsc program aka 3rd year of a part time Bsc.

Example though this one here falls under mechanical eng, we still have to do it in computer eng

This is a second year fulltime exam paper from the bsc in comp eng. first semester

This post has been edited by john5220: 09 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

View Postjohn5220, on 09 July 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

did only one year of electronics in university and damn i miss it looking at this :(/>/>. looks cool tho its all about complex numbers that are long and annoying when working with AC currents but a good calculator solves this problem. didnt seem to go much into coils but its easier.

hey man this is nice to know, this is what I got accepted into doing, I guess being human I am looking for some justification and comfort knowing that this isn't a crappy easy degree.

I was just wondering if it could rank with some US and Canadian universities. I dunno its just an exciting time for me and I just want to do some research in this, I am 28 years old and will be 29 in november so my options are quite limited in life and this is the only place that offers Engineering part time so hoping these exam papers looks decent for what it is being second year of a full time bsc program aka 3rd year of a part time Bsc.

im from sweden so dunno about the standards in the US and canada. i went to royal institute of technology in stockholm. But we had a few 30+ something in our class, i guess youre never to old to learn a new skill. i like electronics more then computer science so that came easy to me, but it is not easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

View Postben255, on 09 July 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

did only one year of electronics in university and damn i miss it looking at this :(/>/>/>/>/>. looks cool tho its all about complex numbers that are long and annoying when working with AC currents but a good calculator solves this problem. didnt seem to go much into coils but its easier.

im from sweden so dunno about the standards in the US and canada. i went to royal institute of technology in stockholm. But we had a few 30+ something in our class, i guess youre never to old to learn a new skill. i like electronics more then computer science so that came easy to me, but it is not easy.

silly me I forgot to ask how this compared to UK and European universities aswell.

How would this compare to your university?

Let me show you exactly what are second year courses. These are offcourse first semester of a year 2 full time 3 year bsc they offer.

This post has been edited by john5220: 09 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

View Postjohn5220, on 09 July 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

View Postben255, on 09 July 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

did only one year of electronics in university and damn i miss it looking at this :(/>/>/>/>. looks cool tho its all about complex numbers that are long and annoying when working with AC currents but a good calculator solves this problem. didnt seem to go much into coils but its easier.

silly me I forgot to ask how this compared to UK and European universities aswell.

How would this compare to your university?

Let me show you exactly what are second year courses.

we had this first year, second year they started with analog electronics. like amplifiers and that stuff communications, it was like AC you see everything from a 2D point of view. the analog would become 3D. since radio signals travel though the air you have to account for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

OOOw I see. I think I understand now, you see computer engineering is supposed to be only 50% electrical engineering and the other half 50% computer science so I don't think its supposed to be in depth as a true electrical engineering degree or like some places they offer Electrical and Computer Engineering in one as one course.

One last thing

how would you compare that? its supposed to be second year of a 3 year Bsc in Engineering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

View Postjohn5220, on 09 July 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

OOOw I see. I think I understand now, you see computer engineering is supposed to be only 50% electrical engineering and the other half 50% computer science so I don't think its supposed to be in depth as a true electrical engineering degree or like some places they offer Electrical and Computer Engineering in one as one course.

One last thing

how would you compare that? its supposed to be second year of a 3 year Bsc in Engineering.

everything was very math heavy on algebra and functions the first year where i went. my friend went a 5 year computer science course and they had even more math the first year. so that is very simple compare to anything we had.
the teachers said it was to filter out some people, cuz it wouldnt become easier later.

This post has been edited by ben255: 09 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

ooh thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Any tips for me on what I should do to make the most of this 4 years at this school and excel over others when its all said and done?
Perhaps going out on my own and experimenting, learning more programming languages and at the same time mastering what they are teaching well beyond what they would teach right?

Since I was told the degree matters little since its all about what the individual learns and can adapt to in the coming future to keep up.

I am thinking Raspberry Pi, mastering that to create my project when the time comes yes?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Perhaps going out on my own and experimenting, learning more programming languages and at the same time mastering what they are teaching well beyond what they would teach right?

That should be implied. There is no reason to just confine yourself to what the class is teaching. Lacking an educationally adventurous outlook is not going to do you any favors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 July 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

That should be implied. There is no reason to just confine yourself to what the class is teaching. Lacking an educationally adventurous outlook is not going to do you any favors.

Yes you have a very good point there.

This is also a pretty good website here to learn stuff from, ever since being accepted into this program I suddenly feel so adventurous about learning these programming lancuages and going on MIT channel on youtube for their maths and engineering lectures that they offer free.

My school seems to have a pretty hard focus on C++, we are required to do advanced courses for credits in Java aswell but they seem to put more emphasis on teaching C++ for some reason. And I know for a fact my country has a lack of Programmers and as such they are usually importing them from other countries etc. Being a oil driven country most of our Engineers graduate to work in Petroleum Engineering so much less computer science grands ad computer engineering grads.

I shall make sure when I am done here I have the absolute best skills in programming.

Any advice on where to start as a beginner learning C++? well we have to learn both C and C++.

This post has been edited by john5220: 09 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

they seem to put more emphasis on teaching C++ for some reason

Typically this is because C++ provides a quick and clear view of data structures in a syntax that other languages are similar with. Again it is less important to know all the syntax of C++, but to recognize the functions, structure, logic, etc behind it so you can apply those same concepts to other languages you will learn.

Any advice on where to start as a beginner learning C++?

Books, tutorials, etc. Check out the pinned threads in the c++ section, see what folks are asking, and get yourself some sort of structured learning material.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +