4 Replies - 2181 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Printing in PHP

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

I have the possibility of taking on a major project. Currently, I have not met with the actual client, just the intermediary whom gave me the high level design flow chart. At this stage I am attempting to get as much of the feasibility study out of the way as possible before I do meet with them.

One of the things they would like the system to do is, print checks automatically on a specific date. The problem being they do not have an in house server. My question being, is this even possible with a hosted server? If I had the printers IP address and the name I could send a print message, in theory. Or I could build a desktop application that could pull the info and print. But, is it possible to print when the server is hosted, with automation, without user input?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Printing in PHP

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Printing in PHP

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

If I had the printers IP address and the name I could send a print message, in theory.

So could anyone else, it sounds like. Unless printers can be set up to use authentication these days (damn kids, what with their authenticating printers). It could make for some interesting times in the office.

http://memegenerator...stance/43616056

The first question I would ask them is why not have an in-house server. Even if their bandwidth is too limited to support using the application, they could at least host a print server that you can secure as much as you want to. The hosted server could send requests to the print server.

Of course, maybe a printer can do all of that without needing a separate server. I haven't owned a printer in many years. The advantage of a print server would be that you could perform additional processing though. In addition to sending a complete print job to the printer, it could instead send only the relevant data and then you create the print job on the print server.

This post has been edited by ArtificialSoldier: 09 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

From what I have been told the people at the company are completely electronic illiterate. It took two weeks to figure out how to setup their projector.

This is my only area of concern with their proposed application. I could make it work I'm sure, the question is how easily and how many systems would need to make it work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

I'd probably approach it from a different perspective. Since they don't have an in-house server I wouldn't want to send potentially secure information (names, and payment amounts) over a non-encrypted channel.

Instead I'd make the site with a small, secure, private API and then write a small application to be run from within their network as a cron job or scheduled task which authenticates with the server, gathers the encrypted payment information, decrypts it, and prints locally. I wouldn't expect this to be too bad in Java, VB, C#, or other higher level languages with built-in crypto libraries. Then the server should have access to mcrypt so the encryption should be quite possible. If you can set up an asymmetric encryption key between the server and the client that would be even better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

That was one possibility I was thinking about. Writing a small application on a single terminal and then interfacing it with the offsite database/ web application. I wonder if they would swing a Unix terminal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1