Ubisoft's: Watch Dogs. Glorifying black hat hacking?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 1808 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Ubisoft's: Watch Dogs. Glorifying black hat hacking?

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

I recently purchased an xbox one and also the new game Watch Dogs in which you are a hacker running around a virtual Chicago, hacking into peoples cellphone conversations, atm accounts, street lights, etc

Although it is a ton of fun and i recommend the game especially for computer savvy people, I think it glorifies the idea of black hat hacking a bit too much and over simplifies what hacking really is.

I think the game might inspire more people to start learning about programming which is good, but I don't want a new generation of learners who start programming for the wrong reasons.

What do you guys think?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ubisoft's: Watch Dogs. Glorifying black hat hacking?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ubisoft's: Watch Dogs. Glorifying black hat hacking?

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

I think it glorifies the idea of black hat hacking a bit too much and over simplifies what hacking really is.

No worse than any TV show that does teh haX0ring, movie, or other media that tries to jazz up a very not camera friendly profession. Uplink was a more interesting game on the hacking front.

I doubt this will have any sort of uptick in folks trying to learn to program, or attempt to emulate what they saw there. If they do.. well.. from what I understand of the game they will be disappointed in not being able to hax0r the sewers or grenades in peoples pockets. At worst we'll have a flood of script kiddies yelling profanity, and then they'll get frustrated that videogames are not a basis for reality and they'll wander off.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

My guess is that most people who think hacking is l33t are already out there trying it. I personally don't see a game changing that. There have been a number of other games out there that have hacking in them (some of them even make you type out the unix commands that you want to have run so you can see what is going on) -- and yet I didn't see any "black hat hacking is cool now" or other news about those games when they were released.

This is most likely only news because there are organisations out there making a bad name for computer scientists by doing illegal things with computers -- some of them being stupid about it.

I personally don't give any credit to the idea that people who weren't already trying to hack will go out and try to learn to hack because of the game. Those who were already trying to hack will continue to do so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Watch Dogs: HACK THE PLANET
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

For the love of Peter - priorities people! First we free Kevin *THEN* we hack the planet!

Posted Image

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostMarkanthony13, on 11 July 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

What do you guys think?

I think video games should NEVER glorify illegal activities.

GTA, ManHunt, MaxPayne, Hitman, Assassins Creed... oh wait, I see a pattern forming here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

Catharsis is valuable
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 July 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

View PostMarkanthony13, on 11 July 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

What do you guys think?

I think video games should NEVER glorify illegal activities.

GTA, ManHunt, MaxPayne, Hitman, Assassins Creed... oh wait, I see a pattern forming here.

Hm, if we rule out murder, and define murder as taking the life of another creature able to carry on an intelligent conversation (since some video games don't have you playing humans), then I believe pretty much every game out there (except things like bricks) would be glorifying at least murder (Mario -- You kill Goomba, Koopa, Bowser; and this list goes on from there).

Actually, there are studies out there that suggest (for what that's worth) that playing the bad guys in video games may make people more morally good overall. So... hacking the planet ingame may be good for the planet IRL...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

In the game the use a cellphone to hack everything, presumably an iphone with the app/software ctOS which in the face is facial recognition that then will bring up highlights of your life such as arrests, occupation, interest, and income.

How far off from something like this in real life do you think we are?

I feel and fear that its not far off at all considering the Kinect that Microsoft sells for xbox and multiple other household consumer devices already have very advanced facial recognition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Except that when you are hax0ring the planet in Watchdogs that is actually hax0ring the real world. See, the Government hooked it up to translate in game activities into real system take downs and such. A flood of players just means that many more "intelligent" agents running a directed route on foreign powers. Much like how the NSA bumper sticker says "My other computer is your computer before FedEx even delivered it" [!] - it is the same with the game. That install of Watchdogs was The Man's before it was downloaded to your pc. You are no longer playing a game, but participating in a globally addictive loIC.

Totes true.

In the game the use a cellphone to hack everything, presumably an iphone with the app/software ctOS which in the face is facial recognition that then will bring up highlights of your life such as arrests, occupation, interest, and income.

Using an iPhone to do all of that? Very far off.

I feel and fear that its not far off at all considering the Kinect that Microsoft sells for xbox and multiple other household consumer devices already have very advanced facial recognition.

Not to mention the amazon fire phone with the four camera tracking to really get good detail on a bathroom fap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostMarkanthony13, on 11 July 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

The thing to realize is the gameplay isn't hacking. Granted I've not played the game, but let me put it this way.

The purpose of the game to use a process to achieve goals. Anything to be accomplished is already available, & all 'bypasses' or whatever are already pre-planned & made available. However hacking in real life isn't setup this way. Since you are using a security bypass, you have to find the hole, hope that the security hole isn't patched before the goal is accomplished, the target could even change infrastructures, & so on & so on. I doubt you're actually 'breaking' things in the game, or actual gameplay could freeze, the game could become unplayable, corrupt. It doesn't seem like an actual real life thing to me.

The Nintendo Game Genie on the other hand, that actually modified data between the game & the console. I mean you are dynamically hex editing binaries for crying out loud!

Just for funzies I'm going to add this :

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

from what i understand of the game the only thing it glorifies is charging your phone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Side question - was there ever a tie in phone from the game? It would seem like a great time for HTC or Samsung to roll out a limited edition phone.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Well, the phone from Watch Dogs looks just like a normal, modern, big-screen smart-phone with little bezel, but the differentiation is the OS, so it'd be hard to roll out a phone based on that because it's the OS, not any special hardware that makes it distinct
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

If Gainax can customize Android to sell an Evangelion phone, I think Ubisoft can do it with Watch Doges.

p.s. I desparately want one of those
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +