7 Replies - 1617 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help for guide after study

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Hi, i am student i got 20 years old on 2/july/2014 and iam going to finish Computer Science - in 2014/2015 so i have finished a project for my school - System managment for student (Web Platform )- i have experience in java, PHP(Advanced User) .. but my preucupation is what after i finish this year, where i can study on master and how master degree works, how to get invloved i want some guide, btw i dont have enough money, what i am much more interested its how master degre work and what do you do in this master degree i need a good explanation.

Thanks for reading :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help for guide after study

• D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help for guide after study

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Look at universities available to you and see what you are interested in. A masters just furthers your education in other parts, in computer science it generally focuses on managerial skills and higher level maths. But, no one can tell you what your university programs will offer unless they have been apart of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

in computer science it generally focuses on managerial skills and higher level maths.

Generally not managerial skills for CS. It's a lot of intense coursework and research. There is a theory component, which is math intensive. There are also other areas like bioinformatics, systems/organization, software engineering, AI/Data Mining, etc. There is a breadth requirement for a Master's. Students usually take 30 hours. Some of that may be research culminating in a thesis. Sometimes the degree track chosen is the coursework option, culminating in a couple PhD prelim exams. Depends on the school, the student, etc.

In terms of finances, you should talk to the department about a teaching assistanceship, or a professor about a research assistanceship. Those usually cover living expenses and come with a tuition waiver. It depends heavily on the school though.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

thanks for kind help and info so its seems i can ask for help on master from my college , what i know you had 2 years for finish master (in term of regulary), for those 2 year do i get lectures from prof, how they grade me its similar like in university or its any difference i heard from some guys that they say in master you dont have lectures, tutorial from professor but you just get an profile to study like data mining or other, and you must finish your objective what university want.

does master degree have semester like in bachelor ?
sorry for thos kind of question but i dont know too much how master and up degree works, so i dont have anyone in my family who get and master or better almost are with high school, and no one is guiding me so i am focused to get some information and help there from you guys.

Thanks for reading and your reply
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Xaos  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

You should talk to your college counselor.

Your Masters can be coursework with some research or it can be alot of research and some coursework, it depends on the program.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hi,

does master degree have semester like in bachelor ?

Depending on the mode of the Master's Degree that you are pursuing. If its a coursework track then you'll be able to enjoy your semester holidays. However, If you are taking the intensive Research track, then I'd say "bye-bye" to semester holidays... You'll probably be sitting in your lab doing research like a hermit ! Not even realizing that you are in the semester break. -_-
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

for those 2 year do i get lectures from prof, how they grade me its similar like in university or its any difference i heard from some guys that they say in master you dont have lectures, tutorial from professor but you just get an profile to study like data mining or other, and you must finish your objective what university want.

Generally you need to fulfill 30 credits. Most graduate classes are 3 credit hours. You take 7-10 classes and fill in the difference with research. If you take 10 classes, you generally don't do a thesis. The Master's takes generally 1-2 years. Coursework is obviously more intense than undergraduate studies, but it's still coursework. Getting a master's is a bit more intense than senior year if you do coursework, but it's generally like going to school for another couple of years. Even if you do a research option, it still has a similar feel. PhD is where you really get pounded to do research, but that's what you're there for at that point.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Thanks all of you for those wonderful guide, time.

Thank you too much
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1