1 Replies - 1119 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

Poll: Pros/Cons/Usefulness: Computer networks vs. Computer Systems? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Which course will be more helpful?

1. Introduction to Computer Networks (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Computer Systems Organization (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Doesn't matter (0 votes [0.00%])

4. I like turtles (3 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Pros/Cons/Usefulness: Computer networks vs. Computer Systems?

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

Hello all,

I have to pick one of these two courses. I'm not sure which to pick. My main concern is picking the course that will help me the most.

Here are the courses:

EE 450 Introduction to Computer Networks (3, FaSpSm) Network architectures; layered protocols, network service interface; local networks; long-haul networks; internal protocols; link protocols; addressing; routing; flow control; higher level protocols. (Duplicates credit in CSCI 353.) Prerequisite: junior standing.
EE 457 Computer Systems Organization (3, FaSpSm) Register Transfer level machine organization; performance; arithmetic; pipelined processors; exceptions, out-of-order and speculative execution, cache, virtual memory, multi-core multi-threaded processors, cache coherence. Prerequisite: EE 254L.

The topics I am currently most interested in are Artificial intelligence, robotics, swarm robotics, and possibly games programming.

This will be for my MSCS degree. The courses I have taken that are CS related are for coding in various languages, data structures, and computational physics.

I'm not sure which course will be the most helpful... :/

What are your thoughts? What course would you recommend I take? Why?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Pros/Cons/Usefulness: Computer networks vs. Computer Systems?

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Pros/Cons/Usefulness: Computer networks vs. Computer Systems?

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

If I had to guess - and I do, I don't have much to work with - I'd suggest that the networking course will be the most generally applicable. By that I mean the average programmer is going to have a lot more need for knowledge of networks than of low-level systems.

However, you might not be the average programmer, and the topics you've listed all COULD call for low-level systems knowledge, so it's hard to say - but networking is certainly going to be useful to you no matter what else you do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1